The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
NevadaDVX

A1 Electric vs Specialty pw's for one piece glass?

I've done a lot of searching on this site, trying to decide which power window kit to use with the Brother's one piece side windows. With the small amount of info I have found, the A1 Electric are good, but I also found a link where a guy really likes the Specialty (SPW) kits.
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php...75&SID=60&CID=
I am trying to give the windows some strength in the half down position. . Any suggestions is appreciated. And please don't say "keep the vent windows", I'm past the point of no return.
NevadaDVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Re: A1 Electric vs Specialty pw's for one piece glass?

I can tell you the A1 is a good kit for the normal windows, cant help with the one piece.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
I can tell you the A1 is a good kit for the normal windows, cant help with the one piece.

Smitty
Well, since I can't seem to find much in for on the SPW version, looks like I will be ordering A1's in the morning. Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

You might check into Nu Relics. More expensive, but have a life time warranty. I just bought a set of A1's and they seem a little on the spindly side to me.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
You might check into Nu Relics. More expensive, but have a life time warranty. I just bought a set of A1's and they seem a little on the spindly side to me.
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the A1 stuff about 15 minutes ago off their site. I could probably cancel my cc order in the morning, but I really need this quick as I am trying to finish up this truck while on vacation and they are next door in California and ship the day it is ordered, and I just saw that NuRelics is in NC, so it would be at least a week to get here.

We'll see how the A1 unit works.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

FYI - I found that the rubber "S" type conduit works best to route the wiring between the door and the jamb. I had ordered the stainless braided conduit, but to get the nut tightened inside the jamb requires more surgery than I was prepared to do.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
FYI - I found that the rubber "S" type conduit works best to route the wiring between the door and the jamb. I had ordered the stainless braided conduit, but to get the nut tightened inside the jamb requires more surgery than I was prepared to do.
I saw those braided ones on the A1 site, they looked like they could be a PITA. What is the "S" type conduit?

Last edited by NevadaDVX; 08-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
greystoke

I have the brothers one piece kit...not yet installed but have done all the mods and purchased the spw kit as recommended by webrodder. The specialty kit is easy to install also and I can see where it's design will help with the one piece kit from brothers...just my 2 cents.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
I have the brothers one piece kit...not yet installed but have done all the mods and purchased the spw kit as recommended by webrodder. The specialty kit is easy to install also and I can see where it's design will help with the one piece kit from brothers...just my 2 cents.
One thing I noticed, is the SPW kit looks in the webrodder install looks EXACTLY like the A1 kit. It is even gold irridated the same color. I could never find another pic of SPW kit, except this ebay seller, but the pic in this auction is not for the type on our trucks. I think this is just a generic pic and is for earlier trucks.....

edit: I guess I can't post links, but you can copy and paste this on ebays site...
67-68-69-70-71-72CHEVY PICK-UP POWER WINDOW KIT HOT ROD

Last edited by NevadaDVX; 08-23-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Its a rubber corrugated type conduit piece about 5 or 6 inches long. The openings at each end have 90 degree turns in opposite directions, so it loosely looks like an "S".

I found that it was best to drill the door toward the outside edge because of a bulkhead that angles at 45 degrees - you'll see what I mean when you look in there. I did that hole low and did the jamb hole higher - just below the interior light switch. Then I fished the wire through the same hole in the kick panel as the interior light wire.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
NevadaDVX

Hmm, I've never seen those conduits. I was just going to use that plastic flexible stuff. Where it that available? I'm in a small town with very few options for stuff like that.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

You can call them to confirm, but I believe it is what comes by default with the kit. The reason I'm not sure is the guy said he would throw in a different set at no charge. Regardless, you get it from A1
Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #13
NevadaDVX

Ok cool. I had planned on calling them in the morning to see if there was anything else I would need. I ordered the regulators, switches and relay.