The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
dave69

TPI install in 69 pick up

I would like to find and install from a donor Camaro/ Firebird a TPI engine and keep my auto tranny.
Has any one done this swap over or know a lot about it I would like some info?
I have researched a lot on line, but can't find anyone to talk to about.
I have a nice 69 PU daily driver and my 350 is stock with some up dates runs great but like most sucks in the city for fuel milage. I would like to get better milage than preformance. I think I am on the right track just need some info if anyone can help please let me know up here in Canada we pay way to much for fuel well over $4, a gallon. Thanks
dave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
BarryB

Re: TPI install in 69 pick up

Well if you ever find any info on how to do it. I have a complete tpi intake, wiring harness, and computer for one. well it is missing a couple of bold, but all the critical pieces are there.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: TPI install in 69 pick up

Well I was one of the first to do mine back in 1988. 1986 HO 305. Here is my photo link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ry.php?cat=580

I did it myself and run a street & performance wiring harness with a v-6 feiro computer. Is it the best setup no but it has gotten me a lot of miles over 200,000 on it so far and is still going!
The gas tank is the major thing and I have a few tips for that now to. If you want to talk call me 864 843 6934. Andy

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
71swb4x4

If you are doing it to save gas you will be very disappointed. Sure fuel economy goes up a little, but you will spend a fair amount of money putting it in which will far outweigh any increase in fuel economy.
I put a TPI on my truck. I bought an 86 Z28 Camaro whole for $400. Even with a whole car there is still a lot to buy. Here is what I can think of off the top of my head:
reburn factory computer chip
gas tank
fuel pump
fuel lines
air filter
air ducting
thermostat housing
O2 sensor bungs - installed
check engine light
fuse block
harness?? I reused the factory camaro harness but still put a lot of time into making it work
I am sure there is more.

If fuel economy is your main concern install a 700r4. Much better bang for your buck.

Last edited by 71swb4x4; 08-19-2010 at 10:40 PM.
71swb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: TPI install in 69 pick up

My install was a lot simpler. I did end up buying a gas tank several years later but used the factory one for awhile with no problems. Wiring make it easy and buy a Street & performance harness. Plug and play. The factory computer is fine but throw the harness away and make life a whole lot simpler with a S&P harness. Took me about 1 hr to install it. The air system is a junkyard away. Look at my trucks pictures you will see what I did. Cost less than $50.00.
S&P harness works with the factory harness all the factory guages work as they did before. The gas tank is the biggest problem but I can tell you how to fix that to. If you can weld or can get some one to weld for you. Is it worth it maybe not but for me it was. I have the 700-R4 also installed and my truck has 4:10 gears and I drive it regularly on the interstate.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Tkmadone

What kind of mileage are you getting Andy?
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
dave69

I thought of the 700R4 but I was told that my 308 gears should be change to 355. I have found here local a 92 305 TPI complete other than ECM. Low miles which it should get good fuel milage and still have good power. I do like the looks of the TPI all polished. I would just go through that and install the complete engine package.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkmadone View Post
What kind of mileage are you getting Andy?
I get close to 20MPG out on the interstate. I drove this truck regularly for 20 years and it's been worth every penny spent. I have been working on it ever since I bought it. The LT engines are probably a better choice but for when I did mine it was the perfered method. I wouldn't change a thing!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
60ratrod
yes, i do

i'm gonna be doing one in my 72 gmc using the fast ez efi retrofit kit so i won't have to worry about burning chips. just gotta wait for october 1st

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
dave69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well I was one of the first to do mine back in 1988. 1986 HO 305. Here is my photo link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ry.php?cat=580

I did it myself and run a street & performance wiring harness with a v-6 feiro computer. Is it the best setup no but it has gotten me a lot of miles over 200,000 on it so far and is still going!
The gas tank is the major thing and I have a few tips for that now to. If you want to talk call me 864 843 6934. Andy
Thanks Andy for your feed back I looked at your pictures do you have some close up of the engine far as the TPI set up etc? Did you do a complete engine swap or just a TPI swap to a older engine? What year and model did you use? If I can get close to the milage you get my truck is a daily driver but it is killing me in the fuel milage. My engine runs great starts cold and goes and never skips a beat I want the same thing with a TPI I hope. I would like to start with the TPI swap than maybe 700R4 and rear gears if needed later. I will call you when I get a chance thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Street and Performance has a video of what to think about when doing an install. Call Mark Campbell (owner) at S&P and ask him what he can tell you, he will send you the video so that you can get what you need. Otrder one of his catalogs--it has a lot of neat stuff. I have a complete TPI engine sitting in my garage, ready to go into my DD truck, but I am waiting to see just how many miles I get off of the engine that is in it now. I am at 296,000 and climbing.

The change to the TPI can be done with the engine that you have or a whole install. You will need an engine capable of a good vacuum signal (cam mods will upset this some, so think about it) A high pressure fuel pump is necessary, you can go with an in-line or one that is installed in the tank. Just talk to others that have done this. I have a buddy that installed a TPI in his 1960 vette and he used a book from a company that is called "Jags That Run" http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che...I_TBI_V-8.html

This book gave him a lot of info to get his car done. He used the factory wiring harness and it works great. A wiring harness from S&P is a little expensive, but there are many guys that build harnesses out there. One of the places is EFI Connections http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx or another PCMperformance, http://www.pcmperformance.com/
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
71swb4x4

I forgot in my post that I also had to buy a VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor. This essentially told the computer how fast we were going.
I bought the VSS and air cleaner ducting from Jags That Run.
This website helped a lot: chevythunder.com
I also bought the factory Helms manual for the 86 Camaro, and that was a HUGE help.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
dave69

I found a 92 TPI 305 complete out of a camaro ran great he pulled it to install bigger engine only thing missing is the ECM for $600 local here. This looks like what I would need off a complete swap. I have found some ECM on e-bay that have the right numbers. I would still like to keep my turbo 350 any buy a Painless VSS. I did a TBI swap and didn't like it so went back to my Holley so a lot of things I have done like the return line to the stock tank etc. Any thoughts is this a good engine to look at buying?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: TPI install in 69 pick up

I bought the whole engine and then swaped blocks since the one I bought had a crak in it. Mark is a great guy owner of S&P I meet him and we talked for a couple of hours one day in Denver NC. He was there for a grand opening of a rod shop. I wouldn't change a thing on mine. The early model motors didn't have all the vss stuff and my 700 is cable speedometer also.
You have to be carefull in which years you buy. Mine was a 1986 model motor.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
71swb4x4

85 - 89 TPI systems use a two-pulse VSS and 90-93 systems use a four-pulse VSS.

The 92 unit is set up for center bolt valve covers. This means that the two center bolt holes on each side of the intake manifold will be at a different angle than the 1985 and 1986 intake manifolds (the center bolt style started in 1987). You can grind the seats down to match. I haven't done it (I used a 1986 TPI), but I have heard that others have done it.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The engine that I posted the pictures above, has a set of 96 Vortec heads on it. I changed the base plate to the manifold to fit the later model heads and changed the injectors to 23 lb units and the air flow runners to help push the HP to 375. The computer was repopped at S&P and when I get it running, then we will redo the chip once again to clear any other codes. The enige originally came from a 1990 Corvette and it originally had the same heads on it that the ZZ3 engines do. We changed to get heads that had better flow characteristics and a better top end capability.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
dave69

I am going to look at this 92 305 engine on Monday night I know that I will need to install the VSS four-pulse and with this year of engine I can install a K&N filter right on the front not over on the fender like older models.I like that. Am I still on the right track to just install the complete engine than swap everything to my stock 350? This 305 have roller rockers and lifter which should be better. It has under 200000Km.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Check out this site. http://chevythunder.com/Really helped me out on my '67 since I didn't know a THING about TPI when I started the project. It's a little aggravating to navigate through, but stick with it. Good luck!

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0

Last edited by stevencvn72; 08-22-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: I'm a re-re
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #19
dave69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I bought the whole engine and then swaped blocks since the one I bought had a crak in it. Mark is a great guy owner of S&P I meet him and we talked for a couple of hours one day in Denver NC. He was there for a grand opening of a rod shop. I wouldn't change a thing on mine. The early model motors didn't have all the vss stuff and my 700 is cable speedometer also.
You have to be carefull in which years you buy. Mine was a 1986 model motor.
I talked to Mark today and he said to look for a LS1 5.3 2000 and newer truck or Camaro like the one on his web sight that was done in Bill's 71. He said it is way better to install that complete motor/trany and is way easier and gets up to 28MPG. His said that around him you can get complete engine/trany for 1500 to 2000. He is sending me a DVD and catalog on both swaps. Because I want fuel mileage I will get a better return. He also said if I done go to overdrive with TPI wont get much move than 15 mpg. Any thoughts
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

If you just put the TPI in without the overdrive you want see much of a MPG increase. The startup is very nice though!
I wouldn't do either of them by there self. The combo is the way to go!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club