The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
BluTrukker
BOHICA

86 bench seat

I can get my hands on a low,low mile 86 bench seat that is flawless. The seat in my 68 needs a fair amount of work. I think if I unbolt the seat from the mounts and put it on the 68 mounts it shouldn't be too much work. Has anyone done this? How difficult is it? If you've done it, do you have pics?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Gene

Re: 86 bench seat

I would think that drilling new mounting holes would be an easier option, be sure to reinforce under the cab where the bolts go through though.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. I used my original seat brackets cause I didn't want to redrill holes.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
sjarrett71

Any pics of the frame swap? Any issues afterwards as to the size, length width or height?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
68gmsee

Sorry, but I didn't take any pics of the swap. Basically I removed the brackets off both of them and mounted the brackets back on the truck. I placed the seat on top and marked where I would redrill some mounting holes on the bottom of the seat.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Thanks for the info. Do you remember if the seat mounting holes were very far off? Did you have to weld a tab to the seat frame to get it to mount to the brackets or anything like that?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTrukker View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you remember if the seat mounting holes were very far off? Did you have to weld a tab to the seat frame to get it to mount to the brackets or anything like that?
If you can, take a pic of the bottom of yours. I can take mine out again to take some pics (I had it out last week to install a new fuel tank).

Does the seat in my picture resemble yours? Mine is the rear seat of a crew cab. The front and back were the same but this one was in better condition.

Also, I didn't add anything to it other than drill some holes in the frame. I do recall having to slightly "form" the mounting bracket so it would reach the frame but can't remember much about it.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
68gmsee

Okay... I looked at the mounting brackets and shot a couple of pics that jogged my memory some.

I remember having to slightly bend (form) the rear mount bracket slightly downward and backward so the mounting holes would reach the back of the seat. I did this with a prybar through the hole.

This doesn not affect the rigidity once it's bolted on and it actually helped by lowering the back of the seat slightly.

you can see the original mounting point in the front. I just had to redrill new holes.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68gmsee; 08-26-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Thats awsome, exactly what I was looking for. Yes the seat I'm looking at is just like yours except all vinyl and its brown. I'm not crazy about the brown, since my interior is light green. Maybe I can dye it black or find the right color replacement cover. Thanks for your help.