The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
mrdave03

Headers verses Manifolds

Before I make my final decision on exhaust for my 327 engine install. i'm wondering if I can get opinions on which might be best. Running headers on my 65 c10 with the 327 (I found headers to fit around my clutch linkage) or simply add a nice exhaust to the stock ram horn manifolds? Opinions?
mrdave03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Headers verses Manifolds

My personal preference is not to run headers on anything that will be used for a daily driver. The various joys you can expect include (but are not limited to) noise, leaks/gasket failures caused by flange distortion or bolts loosening, burnt wires, starter problems (from heat radiation), difficult spark plug access, and clearance/interference issues. Of course if you are building the truck to race or show, most of this probably won't matter to you.

I fully expect all of the above to be refuted by numerous members who will claim that they have never had any of these problems and that their headers are the choicest thing since sliced bread. So believe whoever you want to.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
bama63

x2 im with raycow
Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

x3. I've only owned 1 set of headers, and "enjoyed" most of the features mentioned by raycow. I also would never recommend them for a daily driver.

I was planning to add fenderwell headers as part of a gasser transition until unemployment redirected priorities. Nothing replaces the sound of solid lifters on a rough cam ringing down the tubing, but the cost for that music can get pretty steep in maintenance and labor.

Last edited by markeb01; 08-28-2010 at 04:25 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Martin64

I'll back the others with all the problems listed.

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Every V-8 I own (4 now, 3 Chevy's and a Ford) has headers.

And yes I do agree with the problems listed.... But I have also found that you get what you pay for.

The last set of headers that I bought were Sanderson and they were also the most expensive I have ever purchased.

They fit, the fasteners go in without being Houdini, they don't leak and the access to the spark plugs is good.

Thorleys and Hooker Competition Headers are also good quality.

For small block Chevrolet's the stock manifolds from the mid 70's and newer flow pretty good, so the benefits of headers aren't really worth the time or hassles for a daily driver with a mild or stock SBC.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 08-28-2010 at 05:54 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
poncho_villa

Small block chevy engines love the free flow of headers, but I'll have to agree with the above postings. I'd keep the ram horns and go with a large diameter exhaust system for a daily driver. Which reminds me - it's time for my weekly tightening of my header bolts.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
jocko

I'm a header guy I suppose - I've always had them on my hot rods, but I'm in the same boat as you - making the decision if I want to include them on my 283 when I rebuild it. And I agree with all the problems, having experienced them all.

(Lake Roadster - were your Sanderson's cast iron?). I think that is a major difference - cast is a lot like original - same heat level, etc but just better flow - so that's always a good option.

Bottom line - I think the look of these 60's trucks lends itself to good ol stock rams horn exhausts, even if it costs a few hp, I'm not building a drag car. And with the improved coatings you can get nowadays, they don't turn to rust in a week. So, I'm probably gonna go with my stock exhaust on this truck when I get around to it - looks good and can sound just as good with the right exhaust pipe/muffler combo.

If money is no object, could always get them extrude honed and exhaust port matched.... (but I'm not going to!)

Last edited by jocko; 08-28-2010 at 07:12 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
mrdave03

Thanks for all the good input. I'm thinking there is one more option that I can use instead of headers. Maybe it would be a plus to swap the stock 2" ram horns for the larger vette style 2 1/2" ? Otherwise I see Speedway has the Tru-ram manifolds to mimic the stock rams but a bit costly.. so stock it may be! I wish I could find a pre bent set of tubing from the straight drop rams to tie into a do it yourself tail pipe kit but looks like I may need to have the pipes made custom. I just can't wait to get out and have fun with the new 327 :-)
mrdave03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
lotus

I agree with all the problems and I agree you get what you pay for. Sanderson makes some nice headers and they also have some that resemble manifolds that I really want to try out.
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
lotus

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sand...eader-Set.html

the QP1000 cast iron "Quiet Performer" header overcomes limitations of tube-style headers in both fit and in its ability to produce gains in both low end torque and high end horsepower. The QP1000 provides excellent steering clearance, even for Tri-5 vehicles using the Saginaw 605.

Our Cast Series header incorporates individual runners to separate exhaust pulses, with cast anti-reversion baffling to prevent spent gasses from being drawn back into the cylinder during valve timing overlap, when both intake and exhaust valves are open. Scavenging of the cylinders is significantly improved by our D-Shaped technology, first used by GM on their HO (High Output) cylinder heads. The result is exhaust headers that create more torque and power at every RPM range.

There are other benefits to our Cast Series header. Because they are more compact than tubular headers, they provide more clearance for steering, accessories, and other chassis and engine components. They weigh less than factory exhaust, and they look a whole lot better! This is the most popular header for small block 55-57 Chevy applications!
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I would agree with the problems previously mentioned but all can be overcome with the appropriate fasteners and minor maintenance. If you change the oil, grab a 3/8's boxend and tighten down the bolts. Plug wires can be routed or heat protected, as can starters.

Headers will never last as long as manifolds in DD trucks.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Lake Roadster - were your Sanderson's cast iron ?
No, shorty tube headers. Sanderson has really thick flanges and then they weld around each port and machine the weld flat after fabrications. Thus it has a raised area that seals just around the port openings.

I used these on my Model T hot rod and modified the shorties by adding extensions, then had them jet hot coated.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 08-29-2010 at 09:07 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

I used to have 4 tubes, now I run 2.5 rams horns. both sides were original corvette 'til the exhaust guy broke one, which I replaced with an aftermarket version. These aftermarket manifolds can be found reasonably priced on e-bay and I've not had any problems with mine. I find it hard to believe that 4 tube headers running through mufflers provide any significant power gains on a dailey driver, but if I was going to run headers again I'd run tri-Ys.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 08-29-2010 at 10:05 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote