The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
PLANETGETLOW

3 or 4 Link on a 72 C-10 Longbed (And Bag Questions)

Okay, I have some technical ability but need some advice from you guys since I've never installed bags on a truck like this.

Can anybody clarify what's better for the longbed? A 3-link or 4-link setup? Can anybody point me to a link that has a basic 3 or 4 link installed? Nothin radical, just something reliable. This is going on my son's truck.

Lastly, can somebody recommend a reliable bag setup? Will just be a lay-n-play truck but need to be able to tow a payload.
PLANETGETLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
blime81
Laid Lo

Re: 3 or 4 Link on a 72 C-10 Longbed (And Bag Questions)

I like the trianglated 4 links. No need for watts link, panhard bar etc.

I run one in my lifted Jeep and one in my bagged longbed.

Not sure there is really a better setup for a long box vice a short one but I like the lower bars mounted as far out as you can get them (close to the tires). This gives you a more stable ride in the corners. Plus you can also mount the bags on the arms for more lift.

***************** sells everything from parts to full kits for these type setups. I suggest giving them a call and talking to them about it since you mentioned towing.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
PLANETGETLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post
I like the trianglated 4 links. No need for watts link, panhard bar etc.

I run one in my lifted Jeep and one in my bagged longbed.

Not sure there is really a better setup for a long box vice a short one but I like the lower bars mounted as far out as you can get them (close to the tires). This gives you a more stable ride in the corners. Plus you can also mount the bags on the arms for more lift.

***************** sells everything from parts to full kits for these type setups. I suggest giving them a call and talking to them about it since you mentioned towing.
Thanks for the reply, do you have a build of your truck or pics?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
colin_havens

How big of a payload are you needing to be able to haul? I know most people that want to use the truck to haul with put the bags over the axle instead of on the link bars. The reason they put them on the link bars is it gives a softer ride than if over the axle. You may be able to use sleeve bags like Porterbuilt uses, and get the best of both worlds, but you would need to talk to Nathan about that. I have no experence with sleeve bags.

I currently run a triangulated 4 link on my truck, and like it because I have no side to side axle movement like I would get with a panhard bar, and dont have to run a watts link. HOWEVER, I did have to cut up alot of my bed in order to do so, which Im not a fan of. If you plan on raising the bed floor this will not affect you in any way, but if you are just planning on wheel tubs and a notch cover, well, it will be a BIG notch cover. So far that is the only downside I have seen to my setup. My bags are mounted to my lower bars, and it rides better than my wifes Lexus, even at an inch off the ground.

I believe the next time I do a rear install, I will use a Satchell Link. Its basically a triangulated 4 link, but the bottom bars are triangulated instead of the upper bars. Less cutting of the bed floor, and you can still mount your bags on the lower bars. Heres a picture from Keef's Rod and Custom of one they did on a square body C-10.

colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
PLANETGETLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_havens View Post
How big of a payload are you needing to be able to haul? I know most people that want to use the truck to haul with put the bags over the axle instead of on the link bars. The reason they put them on the link bars is it gives a softer ride than if over the axle. You may be able to use sleeve bags like Porterbuilt uses, and get the best of both worlds, but you would need to talk to Nathan about that. I have no experence with sleeve bags.

I currently run a triangulated 4 link on my truck, and like it because I have no side to side axle movement like I would get with a panhard bar, and dont have to run a watts link. HOWEVER, I did have to cut up alot of my bed in order to do so, which Im not a fan of. If you plan on raising the bed floor this will not affect you in any way, but if you are just planning on wheel tubs and a notch cover, well, it will be a BIG notch cover. So far that is the only downside I have seen to my setup. My bags are mounted to my lower bars, and it rides better than my wifes Lexus, even at an inch off the ground.

I believe the next time I do a rear install, I will use a Satchell Link. Its basically a triangulated 4 link, but the bottom bars are triangulated instead of the upper bars. Less cutting of the bed floor, and you can still mount your bags on the lower bars. Heres a picture from Keef's Rod and Custom of one they did on a square body C-10.

Hey man, thanks for that thorough explanation with pictures. That helps me out quite a bit.

He may be pulling a 21 foot boat with a V8 in it so a fairly decent load. I like the idea of a triangulated 4-link because we don't want any side-to-side play.

That build looks nice, do you have any other pics?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
colin_havens

Its not my build, unfortunately. Its "Brown Bagged" that was built at Keef's rod and Custom in Durant, MS I pulled those pics from his website. Heres a link that you can look around and get some ideas:

http://www.keefsrodncustom.com/main.htm
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
blime81
Laid Lo

My build thread is here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415887

Mine handles and rides like a dream (and looks like a POS). I can't say enough good things about the triangulated link for that but I don't tow with mine either so I can't weigh in on that. Colin is correct on the bags being mounted over the axle being the more common tow rig setup. Trouble is if you aren't towing they tend to ride crappy.

You can do the bags however you please with the links though.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
PLANETGETLOW

Thanks fellas....