The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Brake - Line Lock Questions

I am wanting to place a line lock on my 70 chev SWB. I am converting to the new Wilwood D52 aluminum 2 piston caliper disc brakes on all four corners of my truck. I have never used my ebrake and I only use my parking brake when I want to jump out of my truck and leave it running and of course out of gear. I am wanting to use a line lock to cover that situation as well as for burnouts I supose, if that is possible. I have a couple questions.

1) Should I get a double system front/back or just front?

2) Do they work good? Has anyone used them?

3) Can they be used for burn outs? Edit: Found this one, see link below:

http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/tech/install2.htm

4) Any advise. Why I should or shouldnt do this.

Something like this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-1745000/

Last edited by lts70; 07-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Brake - Line Lock Questions

line locks should never be used as a parking brake as the system does slowly bleed down.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Hezie

Linelock's use power to activate and aren't supposted to be used over 60 seconds at a time.

Last edited by Hezie; 07-29-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Someone might think im a smart A$$.
Hezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Those are electric, I am now thinking about using a manual set up. the manual seem more solid as their is no selaniod to over heat and fail or run down a battery. plus they are dang cheap $7 TO $50.

This is from JCWhitney...

IN-LINE HYDRAULIC BRAKE LOCK
Supplements standard emergency parking
Holds any vehicle with hydraulic brakes (cars, trucks, forklift, motor home, trailer, dune buggy, etc) where you put it.
Eliminates strain on engine and transmission; removes all pounding on ring and pinion gears when trailering a second vehicle. Keep stick-shift car from rolling on hill while feet are on gas and clutch. Excellent for parking on steep grades. Uses line pressure of hydraulic system to hold brakes locked—step on foot brake, push brake lock down, release and it’s locked. Step on foot brake again and it opens automatically. Not for use with silicone brake fluid.
In-line hydraulic brake lock for all hydraulic systems that use silicone fluid is also available.

Last edited by lts70; 07-29-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Here is some good info

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227991
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
1) Should I get a double system front/back or just front?
If you intend to use it for "burn outs".....this question answers itself doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
junkyardjohn

I PUT A FEW LINE LOCKS IN MY TRUCKS. NEVER USED EM AS A PARKING BRAKE. THEY WERE ELECTRIC & PLUMMED INLINE JUST UNDER MY MASTER CYL. ON THE FIREWALL WITH A BOTTON ON MY SHIFTER KNOB. (YOU CAN BUY KNOBS WITH A BUTTON) AWSOME FOR BURNOUTS. I COULD PULL IN MY DRIVEWAY ABOUT A FOOT FROM MY GARAGE DOOR, & DO A BIG JOHN FORCE TYPE SMOKEY BURNOUT, WITHOUT THE FRONT WHEELS MOVING 1/4 INCH. GREAT FOR LAUNCHES. THEY WORK OFF OF AN ELECTRIC CELLANOID, JUST LIKE THE CELLANOID IN YOUR STARTER, OR THE INLINE CELLANOID OR YOUR SNOWPLOW. (ALOT LIKE A LIGHT SWITCH). THEIR GREAT FOR HOTRODS. NOTHING MYSTERIOS OR MAJICAL & ONLY REQUIRE A COUPLE OF WIRES TO BE RUN INTO YOUR CAB.. IT SEEMS LIKE THE LAST ONE I BOUGHT WAS AROUND $65 FROM SUMMIT. I ALSO HAVE A MICO-LOCK ON MY 69 WREAKER. IT'S ENTIRELY MECHANICAL, & IS PLUMMED INTO BOTH LINES (FRONT & REAR) TO LOCK EVERY TIRE ON THE GROUND, WHEN I'M WINCHING SOMETHING FREE. (BOTH LINE HAVE TO BE ROUTED IN THE CAB & THRU THE SWITCH) IT ALSO WORKS GREAT. IF YOUR SYSTEM "SLOWLY BLEEDS DOWN" YOU'VE GOT OTHER PROBLEMS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-30-2010 at 05:32 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Thanks Junkyard John.

What sizes of brake line are in our trucks? I should know this but I don’t, seems like it would be 5/16" or 1/4". I need to know so I can get the right manual valve.

I definitely want one on the front brakes for burn outs should I run a separate valve for the rears as well?

Last edited by lts70; 07-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Thanks Junkyard John.

What sizes of brake line are in our trucks? I should know this but I don’t, seems like it would be 5/16" or 1/4". I need to know so I can get the right manual valve.

I definitely want one on the front brakes for burn outs should I run a separate valve for the rears as well?
JUST SO YOU'RE CLEAR... A MANUAL VALVE IS RUN IN-LINE, MEANING YOUR BRAKE LINE WILL HAVE TO BE ROUTED IN YOUR CAB & THRU YOUR SWITCH. (MANUAL... LIKE A BALL VALVE OR GATE VALVE FOR WATER) AN ELECTRIC SWITCH IS A CELLINOID IN-LINE WITH THE WIRES RUNNING IN YOUR CAB, TO YOU'RE SWITCH. (USSUALLY A BUTTON) THEY ARE STILL A TON OF FUN FOR AN OLD FART LIKE ME. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I was thinking of using that new brake line that is easily formed by hand and run a line in next to the e-brake release handle and plumb in the manual valve there. I am looking forward to a good burn out!

Anyone know a good NAPA Part number for a valve that would work for this?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
mr48chev

I'd like to have a Micro Lock on my 71 for towing the boat. Sometimes you don't have enough feet and hands on the boat ramp.

Way back in my misspent youth my auto shop teacher had some sort of Micro lock on his 40 something Dodge pickup that some of us would drive down the local wrecking yard after parts. I found out about those locks after having the brakes lock up on me and walking back to school and then back to the pickup after Mr Palmer had a good laugh at my expense one day.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Anyone have any info or can help me find good ball valve style manual line lock?