The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Yupiamlo

Marker/Park Light Issue

Hey so heres the issue:
My marker light (fender light) doesnt work, but the connector is good and power (blue wire) is getting to it. So the problem is the ground its a brown wire.

The way the marker/park lights are their is one power that they both use, and then I guess they have two seperate grounds that alternate? and thats how when you put on the turn signal they dont both blink.

Ne way does ne one know where the brown wire from the marker light runs to? is it a switch or something, because since its not working the inside indicator is staying on and i dont have a right turn signal.
Yupiamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: Marker/Park Light Issue

What is the year and model of your vehicle? You also failed to mention if you are using standard bulbs or if you are utilizing any L.E.D.'s

So lets theorize (I never ASSuME anything) that you are using standard bulbs and not L.E.D.'s

The side marker lights are not grounded in the usual fashion.They have in fact 2 power leads going to them. The brown lead is your marker/parking light circuit and the Blue wire runs from your front turn signals to the side marker/parking light. When you turn on your turn signals the side marker/parking light flashes alternating with the front turn signal light in a wig-wag style.
If your Right side indicator light is lit up on the dash and you have no right side turn signal, then you have either a bad bulb in the front or rear of the vehicle (Most common problem) or a bad ground on that side.
I could also be a corroded socket or broken power lead going to the front or rear of the vehicle.
The only other thing that can cause this is if you've intermixed the front and rear bulbs. As in using an 1157 on one end and a 2057 on the other. They look alike but the differences in the current draw and wattage is enough to cause the same symptoms you are describing.

Using a test light or a multi-meter set to read D.C.VOLTAGE ground one probe lead and turn on your lights.
now check each of the terminals in the socket to see if there is power to either of them. The brown lead SHOULD light up your testlight and or multimeter. If it don't trace the lead and repair it.the blue lead will only have power to it when the turn signal is activated
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Yupiamlo

Hey thanks man, um its a 1985 C10 2wd 350/350, its silverado so 4 eyes. Yeah as far as the power goes (blue wire) its good, like it has power. The socket is good, because if you take the brown wire from the side marker and ground it, with the lights on, it turns on. So the problem is at the other end of the brown wire like up by the fire wall. And I dunno if it matters but the drivers side one has like 11.5V and the passenger has .2V like its has a bad ground.

Do you/anyone know where the brown wire goes to, it should be a relay I imagine. I mean like litterally on the truck, ex: under the dash right next to the chewboculator valve

Thanks again,
Adam
Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Ok you've definetly got a break in your marker power lead. The BROWN wire.
Question #1. DOes your front marker/parking lights work properly on both left and right side facing forward? If so, then the break is between the front facing marker/parking light and your side light. Most likely right under the battery tray. Repair/replace that section of wire and it should be good.
If your front parking/marker light isn't working properly either then the break is inbetween the right and left side front lights.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Yupiamlo

Yeah both the front marker/park lights work, like the ones in the grille, its just that side one thats out. I pulled out the grille and checked al of the wiring, if their was a bad connector i replaced it. but yeah, still stuck at where does that brown wire lead too? because thats where its messed up.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Yupiamlo

Fixed it, their was a brown wire with a white tracer that was unplugged, it plugged into some socket thing down by the power steering pump. So yeah all good thanks
-Adam