The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
NevadaDVX

Clip-on Dakota weatherstripping question

After doing a search on the forum, I found a few guys using later model type clip on weatherstripping. Some were from S-10s, Dakotas, etc. I picked up a set for a Dakota and got it installed nicely on a project I am working on. Today I hung the doors, and with even with the doors all the way out on their hinge adjustments, they are VERY tight. Anyone have problems like this after installing these? What did you do to "massage" them to fit.
NevadaDVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
NevadaDVX

Re: Clip-on Dakota weatherstripping question

Well, there was nothing I could do, so I pulled it out. The metal backed ribbing put too much pressure on the door and it was impossible to get it to shut without slamming it as hard as possible. Not too mention since the door was adjusted all the way out, it stuck out past the rocker 1/2" at the bottom! I was really hoping to get feedback on this as I feel I wasted $75 on them.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Seems like I read on this forum recently where someone trimmed the metal piece off. Not sure it was Dakota stuff though. Is your door aftermarket?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I've used the Dakota weatherstripping on two of my trucks with no problems. I don't buy new though. I get good used ones from the salvage yard.... I paid $7 for one set and $10 for the other.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
71swb4x4

I used new S10 on my truck and the doors shut tight. If I were to do it again I would do like Leon did and buy used.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Seems like I read on this forum recently where someone trimmed the metal piece off. Not sure it was Dakota stuff though. Is your door aftermarket?
Nope, factory doors. If you trimmed the metal reinforcement piece off, it would have to be glued on, which would defeat the purpose. It looked great and went on fairly easily..............until I hung the passenger door. I have to admit, the passenger door was a used one I picked up and reworked.
I still have the Dakota weatherstrip on the drivers side, which is original to the truck. I will hang it tomorrow and see how it fits in comparison.
Thanks for the response, though.