The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
6bangr

removing steering wheel play(69 c-10)

i tried searching a bit and i cant seem to find the answer im looking for so ill ask the pros.
i got nice amount of play that i want to get rid of.whats the best(cheapest) way to fix this.it looks like their is a bushing or something on the shaft that goes in the steering box is worn pretty good.what is the name of it and would that solve my problem if i change it out? or can i rebuild it myself?
6bangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: removing steering wheel play(69 c-10)

Is it manual or power steering? You need to shake the front end down & find out where the play is coming from. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends, or steering box just to name some of the posibilities. If it is a manual gear box you can rebuild it yourself. If power it's best to get a new or reman.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
cdowns

cheap fixes in steering systems sometimes result in hospital vacations
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
6bangr

it has power steering........the tie rod ends are good.dont really know what the idler or pitman arm look like but il google it right now.visually the componets to the steering look good. so if i have good componets and change the box theoretically i should be good right? should their be any minimal play?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Lee H

"visually the componets to the steering look good. so if i have good components and change the box theoretically i should be good right? should their be any minimal play"

Visually won't cut it. You need to find out where the play is, not just replace parts and hope. Have someone slowly move the steering wheel back and forth just enough so that the tires don't move and look at each component of the system. See what's moving, what's not. Rarely is a sloppy steering system just one component, it's usually several things worn, each worn part causing lot's of movement. I'd be willing to bet you have lose tie rod ends, Idler arm, maybe pitman arm, and steering box.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 09-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
AirSpeed

When I bought my 72 GMC 4X4 it had a lot of play in the steering, I inspected every joint in the steering and found that the tie rod ends where actually loose, I pulled the cotter pins and tightened them up and what a difference! I was really surprised how such a little bit of play in the tie rod end joint could affect the amount of play at the steering wheel. I suggest you do as Lee H said and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and watch each joint and component in the steering, even the smallest amount of play will be multiplied many times at the steering wheel.

Last edited by AirSpeed; 09-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

^ What they said.Diagnostics will save you mucho $$$$$.You can throw new parts at it all you want,but if you take that route just rebuild everything so you don't have to do anything over.If you diagnose the problem and fix that you will come out cheaper.Also,I personally feel that the original stuff is/was much better than most of the replacement parts(made in XXXX)are.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Green K20

I have the same thing happening on my '71 4x4. I have yet to do anything about it. I have crawled under my truck and turned the steering column by hand (yes, my steering is that loose), and I see the pitman arm moving, and the tie rod ends moving. I have no doubt the manual steering gearbox is worn too.

If you get one piece of advise from this thread, let it be this: Don't just start replacing parts, you may end up spending a lot of money and not gain much. I used to have a '77 F150 that I put over $600 worth of parts into, and the steering was almost as loose as before.

I hope this helps.

1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - V6, auto. daily driver

1989 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - in the works (haven't bought it yet)
Green K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

With the engine running get under the front of the truck & grab the rag joint on the top of the steering box. Turn it back & forth about 1-2 in. each way. The pitman arm isthe arm attached to the lower shaft of the gear box. It should have no play in the joint that attaches to the linkage. The lower shaft will turn back & forth. If there is any sideway movement the brg. is worn & the gear box should be replaced. Another place to look is the rag joint itself. It is the fabric connecter from the column to the top shaft of the box.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
6bangr

MAN! All this is awesome input. I really appreciate it.
I've gone and made time to check most of the parts. I tightened pretty much every bolt and it helped more than i expected!
I still need to try what wrenchbender ret said so i can get rid of as much as i can. thanks to all! im positive il get exceptional steering. Can I get my steering box rebuilt? Or is there a way to tighten the steering gear box?
thanks again.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
bovey

Yes, you can have the manual box rebuilt. I had mine done and the difference was amazing. Overtime play will return, but a decent alignment shop can readjust the play in the box.

On that note, you might want to have the play checked first. If it has never been adjusted you might be in luck.

Again, this is not something you want to try at home. It's cheap to let a pro take a peak.
bovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
ubtripn

I always start with the idler arm and get a lot of bang for the buck.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote