The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
69subaru360

Bumper swap pics and hitch question

I got rid of my ugly step bumper and put on a chrome bumper. It's the 81-87 style and my truck is a 78 but oh well it looks good.

Now I need a hitch. What brand fits closest to the bumper? I don't want anything hanging really low in the back. Preferably I'd like just the receiver visible below the bumper. If you have pics of how your hitch sits with this bumper that would be helpful.

Before:

After:

Yes, I need a new tailgate. Hopefully soon.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Patsfan34

Re: Bumper swap pics and hitch question

Looks good dude!
Patsfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

I'm pretty sure that all of the receiver type hitches will exit just below your bumper. You can check the Reese and Valley websites to get the dimensions. Most people have a 5000# hitch, which is OK for light use, but if you do heavy hauling you will could go as high as 10,000#(likely exceeding the capacity of your truck). The lighter hitches mostly bolt to the bottom and sides of your frame, while the heavier duty hitches have a C shape which will surround the frame completely.
If you have a spare tire carried under your truck you will likely have to do some mods to keep it there with a receiver type hitch. I moved my threaded carrier bolt forward about 2" to clear the 5,000# Reese hitch on my 83 C20. You might be able to score a used hitch on CL locally, but these are only in the $100-$200 range new.
You can probably get some decent $$ for that step bumper, if you have not sold it already. Most people prefer the step type over standard bumper for work trucks. Your step looks to be in good shape.
P.S. - I had a 76 C20, 350/350 which was the same two tone blue as yours.
I sold it because it was the slowest truck I have ever owned.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Here's mine...

The only thing that sucks about it, is the safety chain loop,. located in a bad spot underneath.. I hit bottom real easy if i dont watch how i leave steep driveways and parking lots....(have to do the old 'low-rider', diagonal exit stragety) hehe

have to weld a new one on the side i guess..
Attached Images

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-09-2010 at 07:52 PM.
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Oilbrnr

This is what you are looking for: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/1943729172.html

TucsonJWT, can't say that I've ever come across a load leveling hitch that goes on both the top and bottom of the frame...

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
3r!c84
Badass

could you get more pics of the swap? im going to sway mine this weekend

thanks. Eric

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
69subaru360

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I'm pretty sure that all of the receiver type hitches will exit just below your bumper. You can check the Reese and Valley websites to get the dimensions. Most people have a 5000# hitch, which is OK for light use, but if you do heavy hauling you will could go as high as 10,000#(likely exceeding the capacity of your truck). The lighter hitches mostly bolt to the bottom and sides of your frame, while the heavier duty hitches have a C shape which will surround the frame completely.
If you have a spare tire carried under your truck you will likely have to do some mods to keep it there with a receiver type hitch. I moved my threaded carrier bolt forward about 2" to clear the 5,000# Reese hitch on my 83 C20. You might be able to score a used hitch on CL locally, but these are only in the $100-$200 range new.
You can probably get some decent $$ for that step bumper, if you have not sold it already. Most people prefer the step type over standard bumper for work trucks. Your step looks to be in good shape.
P.S. - I had a 76 C20, 350/350 which was the same two tone blue as yours.
I sold it because it was the slowest truck I have ever owned.
Thanks, my trailer is about 1800 lbs and the cars I tow on it are about 3000 so I was thinking of getting a 6000 or 7000 lb hitch if I can to be safe. 5000 might be cutting it close.

I tried to sell the bumper, but nobody wanted it, I even tried to trade it for a chrome one. I ended up just scrapping it. I felt bad about it, but didn't want to store it forever.

I think I am going to go with the bed mounted spare carrier, but I may try and move the under bed one and see how it sits first.

Mine isn't that slow. I haven't driven it a whole lot yet, waiting for my antique plate to show up. But it seems to go ok. I put dual exhaust on it with turbo mufflers and no cat, that seems to help a lot with power, it sure did on my old 91 suburban. In the future I might do an intake/cam/carb swap on the 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude76 View Post
Here's mine...

The only thing that sucks about it, is the safety chain loop,. located in a bad spot underneath.. I hit bottom real easy if i dont watch how i leave steep driveways and parking lots....(have to do the old 'low-rider', diagonal exit stragety) hehe

have to weld a new one on the side i guess..
I like yours. What brand is it if you know? I want one where the crossbar of the hitch is up under the bumper like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
could you get more pics of the swap? im going to sway mine this weekend

thanks. Eric
No sorry just before and after. There's really nothing to it, just 3 bolts on each side. You need the correct pickup brackets with the bumper, the step bumper brackets are not the same and the blazer and suburban are both different. I had to go to one junkyard for the bumper, I got it off a blazer, then another junkyard for brackets, they came off an 81 pickup, the brackets were ok, but the bumper had a rust hole.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
3r!c84
Badass

the outside brackets are the same off of a burb. im only going to use the outside brackets..also did you have to drill holes or where they already there

Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
69subaru360

All the holes were there. I think it might flop around more than you want with just 2 brackets, but whatever works.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
3r!c84
Badass

ill have to see but them inner ones are hard to find and they are like 69$!! each online

Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69subaru360 View Post
I like yours. What brand is it if you know? I want one where the crossbar of the hitch is up under the bumper like yours.
.. Talked to my dad about it, and all he can remember is a buddy of his gave it to him when he had totalled his stepside....

sorry I couldn't help you more on the specifics.. I could get you some more shots from underneath, so you can get a better idea of it.. if you'd like.. let me know..

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-09-2010 at 10:36 PM.
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

Forget the bed mounted spare.
Tire gets weathered more in the bed.
Tire collects dirt, leaves, mud, etc. in the bed - hard to clean out bed.
Hard to clean out bed around the tire when you haul dirt, trash, leaves.
Draws attention to your spare, thieves think it will be easy to steal.
Partially obstructs side rear view.
Check this thread for pics on how to relocate the bolt on the spare tire carrier slightly to accommodate an under frame trailer hitch - no big deal.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419258
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
SCOTI

Another option that seems like it fits the description of what you seek....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=hidden+hitch
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I agree with the hidden hitch idea. Both my '60 and my '78 have a hidden hitch (although my '78 was fabricated along time ago by the PO). My '60 has one that I bought online that was made adjustable for motorhomes. If you want the part number, I could find it for you somewhere...

Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Actually, that sticker in the pic is the part number I just realized.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote