The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
jeffro788

Head Pressure building up

Hey guys, we just put a serpentine set up on the truck, therefore we had to put the pancake style compressor on, I think it is what would go on an early 90's truck. I have dual electric fans (pullers) on the back of the radiator that are temperature controlled to kick on 190, and it still builds up head pressure. We tried to seal off the open area of the core support that is above the condenser (about a 4" gap), so the air would be pulled through the condensor. That didn't work...... Next we added a pusher fan on the front of the condenser that kicks on with the compressor only, along with with the dual pullers that kick on with the engine temperature. Still not working.... Not sure where to go from here, that 3" gap between the condensor and radiator is killing me..
1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 w-30 - original
jeffro788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Head Pressure building up

If you are using 134A it doesn't take as much coolant as R12 & naturally has more high side pressure. You may have too much in it. There is a special low pressure switch available for changeover. In real hot weather the high side pressure is going to be very high.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
DANTIP

Over-charging is a possibility. Extra system charge effectively reduces your condenser's capacity. Also air in your system will end up in the condenser and will increase your discharge/head pressure. Was the system properly evacuated prior to charging?
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
jeffro788

We are running r134 right now, but I think we are going to change over to freeze12. I really don't know a whole lot about a/c, so we had a local shop do the leak testing and charging. We did do the retro fit, I think that is the expansion valve that has the pressure switch on it. I do know that when you turn on that compressor you can really feel a "bump" in the engine right when you turn it on. I figured this can't be to hard since it came from the factory with this condensor set up, although it had a mechanical fan and not 3 electric fans.
1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 w-30 - original
jeffro788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Wire your fans to come on when the compressor comes on and the head pressure should drop. Head pressue will rise without propper air flow over the coil.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote