The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

TBI to Carb

So I have a line on a decent little 87 SWB truck. Has a 305 with TBI, but has had an electrical fire that went from engine bay to dash area. Was more of a melt down than actual fire, but most the wire looms are trashed as is all the plastic connections etc.

I can get 85 and down LWB trucks all the time for ~200 or so with no drive train or with engines locked up. My question is, and I know it's possible because I see them advertised all the time, can you get an intake that will fit the 87's 305 block but is made for carb setup? Seems you can literally just remove all the ECM and TBI wires, put an older vacuum advance distributor in and rewire with stuff from an 85 or so down, correct? I'm guessing probably have to change the sending units in the gas tank(s) and put a fuel pump on the block, otherwise seems like fairly easy swap.

Thinking I can get this truck cheap and drag a parts truck in cheap and maybe only have to buy a few items depending on what the parts truck really has. Might luck out and get a parts truck with just a locked up motor and be able to use the fuel pump and distributor and such from it as well. The intake has me wondering though since I know the 87 engines have a somewhat different bolt design than the older stuff. Hoping I'm not looking at swapping heads as well, but I guess that might be doable as well.

I also have a wire loom from a TBI truck, as well as the ECM and stuff, so that is always a thought as well. But putting it back to a carb setup might be simpler and cheaper in the long run since basically anything with a plastic connection on the end of the wire also got damaged it seems.

Surely someone has went from TBI to carb on here.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
joe231

Re: TBI to Carb

TTT
For ya Randy
I believe all you would need to do is open up the center holes on your carb intake like you had to do to run the TBI intake with older heads....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
MTCK

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ED...ET&prefilter=1

That ought to get a carb on there but I think you'll need to stick with the electric fuel tank and get a pressure regulator.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ED...ET&prefilter=1

That ought to get a carb on there but I think you'll need to stick with the electric fuel tank and get a pressure regulator.
good thinking,
there is probably not a hole in that block for the furl pump push-rod
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Had not thought of there not being a place for the mechanical fuel pump. I'll have to look. I'm supposed to get another phone call to go look closer. Basically like 3 trucks for one price sorta thing, only one with drive line though is 'smoked' perse.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
joe231

there should be a place to bolt it up, but chances are the holes aren't tapped and the hole for the push rod isn't there either.
right on, you can give that trailer a workout
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Now I am remembering I never went and bought any chains, straps or comealongs. Might be a trip to Atwoods as well this morning, lol.

I got a few bucks horded back, and can either buy this gaggle of trucks (two will go to the crusher rather quickly) or I got a line on a late 70's suburban. Supposed to have a big block in it with only about 25k on it. Just waiting on phone calls to come look. But if it is for some reason a 1/2 ton suburban with a big block, I might have to change my plans.

Then again, I can't even put a valve cover on without it leaking to high heaven. I should maybe rethink my plans even further.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
joe231

Old 09-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
good thinking,
there is probably not a hole in that block for the furl pump push-rod
My TBI block is not drilled for the fuel pump push rod and only has one of the four cover plate bolt holes drilled.

I thought about making a drill fixture using another block to be able to drill the TBI block out so I could run a mechanical fuel pump on it if needed.

You would need a pretty long drill bit and it would have to be exactly the right size so the push rod fit right and got the proper amount of oil like stock. Probably a job best left to an engine machine shop.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote