The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

New Gas Tanks

So my LWB truck has 16 gallon saddle tanks for some reason (tape measure doesn't lie). I am going to order new tanks, since it seems mine are full of crap.

Would you go LMC or ClassicParts or someone else? I have good luck from each getting here in just a few days, is why I lean towards them (they are in KC are it seems, I'm in Tulsa area).

I was about to order the 20 gallon tanks from LMC, then seen the note about "some LWB trucks have 16 gallon tanks", so I measured and sure enough... Would the 20 gallon tanks go in if I found some new shields for them? Or is there more to it than that?

We replaced the fuel filter the other day on my 87 and it had gas in it as black as night. We just took the TBI off and it has already gotten black gunk in it as well (less than 200 miles on it). Time for new tanks me thinks.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
foamypirate

Re: New Gas Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
So my LWB truck has 16 gallon saddle tanks for some reason (tape measure doesn't lie). I am going to order new tanks, since it seems mine are full of crap.

Would you go LMC or ClassicParts or someone else? I have good luck from each getting here in just a few days, is why I lean towards them (they are in KC are it seems, I'm in Tulsa area).

I was about to order the 20 gallon tanks from LMC, then seen the note about "some LWB trucks have 16 gallon tanks", so I measured and sure enough... Would the 20 gallon tanks go in if I found some new shields for them? Or is there more to it than that?

We replaced the fuel filter the other day on my 87 and it had gas in it as black as night. We just took the TBI off and it has already gotten black gunk in it as well (less than 200 miles on it). Time for new tanks me thinks.
Interested in this as well, my LWB also has 16 gallon tanks for some reason.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: New Gas Tanks

I texted Joe (are you sorry I got your # yet?) about it all. He suggested O'Reillys, which I had not even thought of. Sure enough they had one in stock, will have it in the morning at my shop. One is a start I thought, and about $30 cheaper since there is no shipping.

Mine could probably be cleaned easy enough, but my thought is if we go through the trouble of dropping the tank, might as well just slide a new one in there. I'm sort of anxious to see how nasty it is really.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote