The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Yipes

Going from 4wd to 2wd and need some input

I have a super clean factory 72 blazer 4wd that I'm wanting to make into a 2wd. Would it be easier to pull all the suspension off it's original frame and replace it with 2wd drive parts... Or use my 2wd frame from a 72 short bed pickup and set the blazer body on that frame? Would that even work? I know the frames are really close to the same.

I was also thinking of putting an airbag system on it. So would I just be waisting my time and money by swapping frames?
Attached Images

Yipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Going from 4wd to 2wd and need some input

The front half of your SWB truck frame is the same but not the rear. It really depends on how big of a project you want this to be. You can convert your existing frame to 2wd by using a 2wd donor for the entire front crossmember and steering.

The cheapest rout would be to find a 73-87 C10 truck or 73-91 Burb to rob the front suspension from. Update parts as you install them.

The other option would be to use a aftermarket lowered crossmember such as the one designed by Nathan Porter at Porterbuilt. There are several other Forum vendors that supply a similiar product, such as Scotts Hotrods, and Suicide Doors.

This will allow you to lay frame if you want to go that low.

I'm not a big 4WD guy, but I would have a hard time converting such a nice Blazer. Then again, it will look just as sweet laid out.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
jbjburbs

static drop - would recommend a donor front end.

if you're wanting to layout or put bags on the blazer i would invest in a drop member from suicide doors, KP or whomever you prefer. The front setup from those kits are awesome looking and built to last. IMO - if you bag the truck chances are you'll want to as low as possible..therefore skipping to the drop member kit would save money (in the long run)

well in my theory and if i had a nice blazer or the money good luck either route.
Dad's 1948 Suburban -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563150

Bagged 1995 Suburban - SOLD
Bodied 1995 Tahoe -SOLD
jbjburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Yipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
The front half of your SWB truck frame is the same but not the rear. It really depends on how big of a project you want this to be. You can convert your existing frame to 2wd by using a 2wd donor for the entire front crossmember and steering.

The cheapest rout would be to find a 73-87 C10 truck or 73-91 Burb to rob the front suspension from. Update parts as you install them.

The other option would be to use a aftermarket lowered crossmember such as the one designed by Nathan Porter at Porterbuilt. There are several other Forum vendors that supply a similiar product, such as Scotts Hotrods, and Suicide Doors.

This will allow you to lay frame if you want to go that low.

I'm not a big 4WD guy, but I would have a hard time converting such a nice Blazer. Then again, it will look just as sweet laid out.

I've already got a bare frame with the suspension still attached (72 shortwide) so it would seem to be fairly easy to lay the blazer on it... Besides the obvious difference between 2wd & 4wd rear suspension, is there a difference in the length of the blazer and pickup frames?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yipes View Post
is there a difference in the length of the blazer and pickup frames?
There sure is. The Blazer WB is 104". You will have to shorten any SB C-10 frame you want to use.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I'm a little rough on 69-72 Blazers, but I am thinking the frames are totally different in the rear. I would use the 72 front suspension and go from there.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote