The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
SCOTI

Re: disc brakes for C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Scott,

Almost,....the there are distinct differences in that the lower control arm is different as well as the spindles (ball joint mount on all years ....so if you want to stay with the 8 lug wheel pattern u have to use a 3/4 - 1 ton spindle (larger ball joints as well as bearings) and since no one makes the '63-'70 spindle set up for disc brake for 3/4 -1 ton u have to go to later '73 up stuff to get disc and 8 lug...believe me I've thought of every option and this is the only way.

Cpp has the adapter which is just the adjuster sleeve with two different size thread/bolt patterns on each end. (I have an opinion about CPP but would rather have you try deal with that on your own)

Recently companies have introduced a 3/4 to 1/2 ton conversion spindle w/disc brake mount for the 63-70 trucks this is great if u don't have a dually and don't need 8 lug wheels the kit comes with hubs I believe in 5 and 6 lug versions. This is basically a 1/2 ton spindle with the ball joint tapered stud holes enlarged to 3/4- 1 ton diameter ....so it is truly an easy swap...as u can use all of your original parts including the ball joints.

Apparently there is not enough demand for a 63-70 3/4 1 ton disc brake spindle direct bolt on if there was it would be on my dually!!!!

If you happen to have a donor truck (73-87) everything will bolt right up including the cross member if you drill two additional holes....i had all these parts but since im going to drop spindle's anyway; the amount of labor to remove and replace all those parts and purchasing all new wear parts just wasn't worth the trouble.....ok im going to shut up now before i start to confuse myself...............where did i leave my beer???.....Rushnbobo......
I was clear as mud.... What I meant was instead of using tie-rod adapters, swap the entire post-73 C20/30 steering assembly. Post 73 were all disc set-ups; parts are easier to find & typically cheaper.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-25-2010 at 04:00 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote