The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
supersean1967

T5 swap

looking to put a T5 behind my 67 lwb 3 speed. i need to know what year T5 works best and what dod i need for this setup. can i use the 67's bell housing,do i have to make mods to it. do i need a different drive shaft can i use my original clutch linkage do i need a different flywheel,presseure plat?

can you guys show me your builds of swapping in a T5 and what is involved.

pics,pics,pics please and alot of details...thanks
supersean1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: T5 swap

-
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
raycow

I did a T-5 swap on my 60 (replacing a 4 speed) a few years ago and am very satisfied with its performance in all respects. It is quieter than the 4 speed, shifts easier, and makes a huge improvement at highway speeds.

You will need a T-5 from a 92 or earlier S-10. This will bolt to your stock bellhousing after you slightly enlarge the holes in the T-5 case to clear the mounting bolts. The only difficulty is that its input shaft and front bearing retainer are too long. If your time is cheaper than your money, you can shorten the shaft (it's just the pilot) and the bearing retainer. If you have money to burn, you can get a spacer plate that eliminates the need for any mods except for the driveshaft and shifter hole.
http://hamiltonintakes.com/products/s10t-5-adapter.html

Keep your stock bellhousing, clutch linkage, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. You will need to replace the clutch disc with a 14 spline disc from either an S-10 or an Astrovan. Use the Astro disc if your pressure plate is 11" and the S-10 if it is smaller. You MAY need a longer speedo cable, but try your old one first.

If you are replacing a 3 speed you will have to cut a hole for the shifter and get a shorter driveshaft. If you are cheap like me, install the transmission, measure for the shaft length you need, and head for your friendly local salvage yard with a tape measure. This will cost less than paying a driveshaft shop to shorten your stock shaft.

If you have questions about anything I forgot to mention here, please ask, and I will try to answer them. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot any pics while I was doing the swap.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Blackjeep99

I did mine with an 86 s-10 T-5. I had a 3sp. U can use the orig bell and clutch linkage. U will need to shortin the input shaft a bit I think a 1\4 in and the bearing retainer just measure the one on the 3sp. U will need a bellhouseing ring to make the new tran center in the bell. Pressure plate is the same the clutch disc will need to come from an 89 astro van its 14 spline 11 in u will need to shortin DS. Also try to get 87 and prior trans as they have mech speedo gear. New seals and they say to use auto trans fluid I did and it shifted ruff so I used lucas diff oil sooo much better. U mite want to get alonger speedo cable to. All in all a great swap makes it so much better to drive in town. And I got 4 more MPG with it
Blackjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote