The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

PCV and hoses for 454

Does anyone have a picture of the correct PCV and hose routing for my 83 C20 454? I have a straight up PCV and slightly bent short length of large hose (5/8"?) to the breather element in the air cleaner. The catalogs show a 90 degree bend PCV with a 90 degree elbow (with 1/4" x 5/8" x 5/8" ends?) Either my setup is wrong or the catalogs are wrong. Here are pics of what I have. My short hose is worn out and no longer makes snug contact with the breather element end or the exit end of the PCV, and I cannot find a listing for a prebent short hose like this.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
blakeduren

Re: PCV and hoses for 454

I don't have it, but if you find it, let me know! I have an 82 c20 sub with a 454 and it has no sticker on the radiator support, even though everything is mostly stock on the truck! I have the window sticker, but why do people get rid of the hose routing sticker!?!?

My PCV valve is on the drivers side valve cover. It is a 90 degree bend one. The thing that holds that 5/8's hose on the passenger side is just a metal "nipple" for the breather in the air cleaner.
To get a new breather hose, just go the parts store and look and what they have to find one that fits. Probably not a real application to look up on little parts like that.
blakeduren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

I have seen the 90 degree metal nipples, but you would need rubber hoses on both ends to attach to the breather element and the PCV valve, which would make it too long. My PCV valve is not directly in line with the breather element, so the hose has a slight twist in it to reach the breather element. The PCV valve is slightly toward the rear of the breather element. I see 90s with Tees, 90 degree PCV valves, etc. - but nothing like my hose. I have a diagram on my air cleaner but it doesn't help define the PCV valve and hoses.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
blakeduren

The breather and the PCV are NOT connected in any way. The PCV should be on the drivers side, while the breather is on the passenger side. One lets air into the valve train, while the other lets it out.
blakeduren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

My engine is stock. No PCV opening in the valve cover on the driver's side, only on passenger side valve cover. Air cleaner is stock, has slot for breather on the passenger side. I don't see how the two would not connect, but maybe there should be some sort of vacuum lines invovled. All other old GM V8s I have owned have this breather to PCV direct connection, but I know there are other configurations.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

My mistake. What the pictures above are of the crankcase ventilation hose and fitting. I do have a PCV valve on the driver's side which routes via hose to the big vacuum intake on the throttle body directly in the front. So, I now need to find a vent hose and fitting for my truck.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I got the crankcase vent hose from Vintage parts. About $43 delivered for this simple 5" hose, and I had to cut about 3/4" off each end to make it fit. Part number 14025240. Its about 3/4" inside diameter, and does have a pre bent shape, but not exactly perfect for my 454.