The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Mayo
Cool Truck

Cost of Bagging a Truck

I would like to get another C10 and bag it so that it lays frame. The only problem is I know nothing about airbags or anything so I would want to hire someone to do it for me. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could give me an estimate on how much it would cost. Thanks.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
dv8customs

Re: Cost of Bagging a Truck

You have to be more specific as to what it is you want. Best bet is to find a reputable shop and discuss with them exactly what it is you want.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Mayo
Cool Truck

All I want is a truck that has the ability to lay frame on airbags. I was just wondering about how much it might cost to put bags and everything on a truck including parts and labor to see if it is in my price range or not.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
way2lo2
way2lo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
All I want is a truck that has the ability to lay frame on airbags. I was just wondering about how much it might cost to put bags and everything on a truck including parts and labor to see if it is in my price range or not.
On a 63-72 C10 a simple four way system @ our shop is $2500 parts and labor, add $500 for a bolt in c-notch parts and labor. Though this won't get you to lay the frame. Add $500 for spindles if your truck already has disc or add $1000 if it will need converted since there is no drum brake drop spindle out, again, only gets you lower but not laying frame. Laying frame means spending some dough on an aftermarket crossmember or frame or at the very least, z'ing the frame or moving the stock crossmember into the chassis which will open an up another expensive can of worms. I would say 10k would get you professionally installed complete air ride with front and rear dropmember that will let you lay frame. My 2 cents
way2lo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Mayo
Cool Truck

Thanks for the info, but thats a little too pricey for me right now.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
OARNGESI

Just talk to some local shops there usually willing to cut a deal when slow when i was thinking about it i got a quote for 4 smc valves notch/4link 5 gallon air tank viair dual pack and all labor for 1700 basically laying frame in the rear or 2500 for the front too with 8 valves bags/plates all installed or check cl and pick up a truck already done
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
colin_havens

It all depends on what you want. It seems the lower you want to go on these trucks, the more money it costs or the more work that is involved. Are you willing to do the work yourself? I didnt know much, so I started reading an researching, all while saving my money. And when I felt I was ready, I ordered my parts and jumped right in. Just dont set expectations for yourself that it will happen in a weekend, and you will be able to take your time and do the job right.

Also, do you have access to a welder or have some friends that could help you? I called upon some of my car club buddies, and they helped TEACH me how to do some of these things. There is nothing more satisfying than saying I built this, even if it was with some friends. Besides, I can guarentee you will learn alot, and only get better for your next build. And the experences with your friends, well, you never forget those!
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
hotrodhomi

Good advice Colin. ^^
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
SCOTI

Porterbuilts Dropmember is mostly bolt in if you can turn wrenches & operate a 1/2" drill. That would allow you to install the majority of the set-up yourself & feel confident on the quality. Google 'Dropmember' for prices or contact Porter (he's a member here).

The air management can be done on a budget if you do the research or can be spendy if you drop it off @ a shop & then pick it up complete. Ride Tech has an easy 'plug & play' set-up (Air Pod) that eases installation (I think it's like 4 basic connections to function) but it also increases the initial costs. Google 'Ride Tech' for info/pricing. I'm not sure if AVS (site supporting vendor is AVS_JASON) has plug & play set-ups.... might be worth checking in there as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-28-2010 at 06:49 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

I would check in with Nate at Porterbuilt. Though you may spend a little dough, his designs allow you to do exactly what you want.... with a little mechanical know how and minor welding it's about as close to "plug and play" as you can get imo.

The labor cost is what's gonna kill ya!!

porterbuiltstreetrods.com

^^^ Ya, what he said!

Last edited by JNJchev77; 09-28-2010 at 06:52 PM.
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
68longhorn

Hey Mayo, if its limited welding we can play with it and figure it out
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
gixxerpymp

Do lots of research and start piecing it together. If you are wanting to just go and drop it all at once then of course it's going to feel like an overwhelming amount of money.

Last edited by gixxerpymp; 09-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
gixxerpymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
texastrendz

You will also need to finish out the sheetmetal. The bed is a concern along with the inner fenders of the truck. You will have to cut out the bed for clearance of the tires and pumpkin. When pricing a "bag job" all this has to come in to play. Just something to think about when pricing things out.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
You will also need to finish out the sheetmetal. The bed is a concern along with the inner fenders of the truck. You will have to cut out the bed for clearance of the tires and pumpkin. When pricing a "bag job" all this has to come in to play. Just something to think about when pricing things out.
Finishing out the sheetmetal should be considered but is not necessary initially. There are many trucks @ shows & in magazine show coverage w/no inner fenders up front or finished bed floors in back. I would want them, but to some it doesn't matter.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
texastrendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Finishing out the sheetmetal should be considered but is not necessary initially. There are many trucks @ shows & in magazine show coverage w/no inner fenders up front or finished bed floors in back. I would want them, but to some it doesn't matter.....
totally agree, just dangerous when the back tire picks something up and chunks it 20 feet in the air on the freeway.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
getbent

interesting
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote