The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
dccarpenter

Loose Front End @ Inspection

Had a rough few months with my '84 C30 2WD, I've had it for a year and in the past two months I've had the radiator go, ignition coil, ignition module, fuel pump, battery, master cylinder, and the belts started fraying.

Went to get my inspection done today and they failed me because I was 'loose' in the right front end and because my backup lights apparently blink on and off when I'm reversing. No idea what the 'loose in the front end' means , they wouldn't elaborate. Tie-rod ends maybe? Anybody know a good way I can check this? I can only imagine the repairs will test my limited auto mechanic skills..but hey the fuel pump looked like it could be hard and I got it done.

I've been trying to do most of the work myself..been just finding empty street parking spots and setting up shop (no driveway or parking at my place), not sure the suspension work will lend itself so smoothly to that. I also felt like an idiot all day today..changed my power steering belt last night, pulled out of the Autozone parking lot after changing it there and everything was running great. This morning pulled out of my house and the thing would barely turn and the brake pedal pulsed(I have the boost from the power steering, no brake booster at firewall) ...DOH..must have slipped/loosened overnight..of course there was a monsoon going on outside so I drove around all day with the thing squealing at me and not being able to turn from a stop. First thing tomorrow going to tighten the crap out of it and hopefully that fixes it.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Loose Front End @ Inspection

you're power steering fluid might be low also...you have hydroboost brakes like I do...it your truck a diesel...anyways, take a jack up the front right wheel and see if you can take the top of the tire and yank it side to side of the truck which would be toward and away from you if you are on the side of the truck yanking on it...if it moves that way, it's probably the ball joints...if it moves alot left to right yanking on it then it's probably a tie rod...if you have anymore questions ask we won't bite..promise...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
dccarpenter

Thanks for the info, I'll scare up another jack(someone stole mine out of the bed of the truck) and take care of testing it.

I checked the fluid , it was looking at a good level. Pretty sure I messed it up with the belt issue, going to try some belt dressing and tightening it first thing tomorrow morning, monsoon rain or not. My truck is unfortunately not a diesel ...it's a 350 small block.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
68longhorn

Also if the wheel shakes up/down and side/side it could be the wheel bearing
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
82swampthing

check those wheel bearings .I've failed a couple times for that.