The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
MrClean
I'LL TRY TO FIX IT!

Advice? Oil Pump and Carrier Bearing

Replacing my oil pump and carrier bearing on my 72 350 this Saturday morning... anything I should look out for? tips? warnings?

1972 Custom/10 LWB 350
My Build
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Advice? Oil Pump and Carrier Bearing

On the carrier bearing---take it to a reputable drive shaft shop in your area, rather than taking a chance on munging up the drive shaft.

On the oil pump--- I always set the pick up WAY to low & then use the oil pan to push it into place. Then I push the pick up tube up about another 1/2", or so, and tack the tube to the pump using nickel welding rod.

But that's just me.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
hayhauler71

buy a good bearing like this http://www.iedls.com/Center-Support-...Difference.asp so you will never have to do it again
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
llowlife

Oil pump? I've rebuilt my own with suitable mods for over 20 years with many many racing motors involved. Melling has gone to crap in MHO, I prefer to redo them as they should have been done from the factory but the machining costs would drive up the price. A good place to start (its a little old but relevant) is Smokey Yunick's mods. Unless you are dealing with a total meltdown piece. I have nearly 5K in my current motor and guess whats the only used piece in the motor? Yep Oil pump.... I run 3/8-1/2" or so away from the bottom of the pan. Never used El Jay's technique but seems like it would work well. Needs to be welded on but make sure you have removed the pressure spring. I used to block the bypass but don't do that to my street motors anymore. I don't run a high volume pump...never have never will. Chevy only needs 10psi per 1k rpm. Good little oiling system. Use Chevy spring Number P/N 3848911. If you do the mods correctly you will increase reliability and reduce power consumption and spark scatter among other things. YOu will have a pump that I have never seen from the factory.

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.

Last edited by llowlife; 10-01-2010 at 07:34 PM.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

It doesn't take a whole lot of weld; maybe 3/8"-1/2", just enough to make sure the pick up tube won't vibrate out of the pump housing.
That nickel rod flows like butter.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote