The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
cparman
sharp as a marble

Jon at Ridetech

Well, as some of you know, I have been struggling with a 63 Caddy that is bagged. I installed a ride pro E3, and struggled. Long story short, I spoke to Jon last Thursday, and told him that this dumb old man was just plain confused. I overnighted him the controller Jax fl. Today the big brown truck returned it to me. I called and left Jon a message to please call me. A short time later I spent 15 minutes or so with him. I got more in that 15 minutes than the hours I had already spent. The car has a preset height, and seems fine. Road test tomorrow, Rained like hell this afternoon. Jon, thanks again. I will post a pic of the controller install ( in the ashtray ). Forgot to tell all that I told to talk to me like Iam stupid. he laughed, I was serious!
Attached Images

Last edited by cparman; 09-27-2010 at 08:02 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Jon at Ridetech

Glad to hear its coming together again Chip. This post made me realize I never responded to your last PM. Sorry bro.

I have been working poor Tony from Ride Tech over time with my E3 install. I finally managed to ask the right question and we discovered that to do set up the vehicle must be on the ground. Having it on jack stands with thr suspension supported will not work.

Now I am dealing with height sensor errors. I had to rethink my actuator arms, but I feel I might have a handle on it now.

Great idea on the ashtray mount....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
LowSmoothCool
Jon@AirRideTech

Hey Chip,
Any time! That's what we're here for. I laughed because its very rare that a customer will admit they don't know what they are doing. If you have any more questions you have my dirrect, look forward in seeing the pictures.
(812) 482-2932
LowSmoothCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

Cranked that old girl up today, waited till I had tank pressure, pushed the #2 button - - - piiisssssshhh, pop pissshhh, HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF!! above my avatar it says " sharp as a marble " perfect description! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSmoothCool View Post
Hey Chip,
Any time! That's what we're here for. I laughed because its very rare that a customer will admit they don't know what they are doing. If you have any more questions you have my dirrect, look forward in seeing the pictures.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
cparman
sharp as a marble

I like it!! My fab skills leave something to be desired. Like a lot of thing we do at my shop, unless you do them every day, your skills will not be as good as someone that does. One of my techs describes me a persistent or stubborn - - - depending if i am helping or just getting the way
Doctors and lawyers PRACTICE. Auto techs work. I told someone that I had been practicing at my shop for 38 years. The look I got was priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Glad to hear its coming together again Chip. This post made me realize I never responded to your last PM. Sorry bro.

I have been working poor Tony from Ride Tech over time with my E3 install. I finally managed to ask the right question and we discovered that to do set up the vehicle must be on the ground. Having it on jack stands with thr suspension supported will not work.

Now I am dealing with height sensor errors. I had to rethink my actuator arms, but I feel I might have a handle on it now.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I understand your sentiments.

I recently had a customer hire a consulting form to give an assessment of how they could improve their business. I had to chuckle when they proudly proclaimed that this consulting "expert" had been in the industry for 25 years.

I told my customers that I have been doing this for 33+ years. That doesn't necessarily make me an expert, but I do qualify as a "Seasoned Survivor"...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

THE CADDY WENT HOME TODAY!! Greg came by this afternoon and picked up his car. Greg is a good listener, with great common sense. Went over the car, and told him where I put everything. He fired the car up and waited a minute - - - pushed #2 - - - - piiiish pop piish - - - RIDE HEIGHT!!!

An hour later, I was on my way home, look up and see the big black Caddy heading north on Mayport Rd. a wave, a smile and off he went. Talked to him an hour ago, and recieved my best paycheck ever.
" it runs great, and I want to thank you for all of the work you did on my car, I really appreciate it"

I have a friend that worked for me for a few years after he retired. Former Army ranger from NC. Ted's best comment:
" Thanks, I know it is mighty poor pay, but it's cash"
Truer words never spoken
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Chip,
'pears as though you and I have something in common (see avatar). I'll be pming you when I get ready to bag this one too!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
cparman
sharp as a marble

Wait a couple of weeks. I/we are needing to replace the rear bags, and Greg and his air ride guy Tony are coming to my shop next Sat. to replace the rear bags, and try and fix any and all leaks. I AM NOT AN BAGGED FAN!!!, but will be happy to share what I learn, even though, I didn't want to learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
Chip,
'pears as though you and I have something in common (see avatar). I'll be pming you when I get ready to bag this one too!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Gman7

Did you make that tray yourself?

Great idea on the ashtray mount....[/QUOTE]
Gman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

Gman, I cut up the existing ashtray. PLEASE do not tell all of the numbers matching all original gut that I did that!! Greg and I were trying to decide where to put it, and I suggested this. I took the panel and the ashtray home, and stared at it for a week. Cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to the size of the control pad. Stared at it for another week. cut the ashtray, and fiddled a bit and ended up where we are now. It would have been nice to refinish all of the pieces, but the car has patina, and needed to be as it is. I am not a great fab guy, but was after functional, not show quality like N2trux is!

I took a small piece of flat steel, and traced the control panel to it. bent the bottom of this piece, and I guess it has about a 130 degree bend on it. drill two holes in the bend, and bolted it to the ashtray housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7 View Post
Did you make that tray yourself?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by cparman; 10-02-2010 at 08:34 PM.