The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

VIN/Title issue question

Going this weekend to pick up a '70 cab to replace the '69 cab that is "cheesy"...like swiss cheesy.

Anyway, getting a title for the '70, and now the question: The VIN is on the tag on the cab, but also has part of it stamped into the chassis. The VIN tag is riveted to the cab and those are special rivets, so changing the tag and using the incorrect rivets may lead a Gendarme-type person to ask a question about what/where. I don't want any issues with titles and don't want any issues to arise with the legitimacy of my registration. Ditto for the insurance dudes.

So, what are you guys doing to make all that work for you?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: VIN/Title issue question

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305830

Take a look here. And you're right if you don't have the rivits you will get hassled. I registered my truck in KS when I bought it, at the time they inspected all vehicles coming from AR. The first thing the inspector noticed was incorrect rivits on the vin tag, thankfully the SPID, tag, and frame matched and there was good evidence that some bonehead had removed the tag to paint the cab. He (state patrolman) said if any of those other things hadn't fallen into place my truck would have ceased to be my truck.

I believe if you have honest intentions and it is documented, replacing the vin tag with the right rivits is ok. I plan to do it someday when I restore my truck again. But in short, good news is you can buy them!

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-01-2010 at 01:37 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
674x4ton

How do you install the rivits? Will any rivits gun will work on them?
674x4ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
swampfox

Several years ago I switch my 2wd body onto a 4wd frame , this is when Ar still did inspections. When I went to register it the lady at the revenue office told me to use the 2wd registration because the title would come back with the same. She never said anything about numbers not matching the frame . I drove it for over 10 years and had it inspected each year until Ar done away with it. They may have changed the rules so it might not hurt to call and ask.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
gkesseru

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from..._id=1630357334
Wow, $41 bid so far for 2 NOS rivets.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I am seeing mention of VIN number tags matching the numbers on the frame. I am a bit new to this restoration process on these older Gm trucks, so here is my question, where is the frame number located? I live in a state where these older trucks are not inspected.
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
alsriv2

I found the answer I was looking for in an earlier post.

Thank you!

Al
'69 GMC 2500 Longhorn
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
I am seeing mention of VIN number tags matching the numbers on the frame. I am a bit new to this restoration process on these older Gm trucks, so here is my question, where is the frame number located? I live in a state where these older trucks are not inspected.
In two places. Both on the drivers side, one under the cab and one sort of under where the PS pump would go.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
In two places. Both on the drivers side, one under the cab and one sort of under where the PS pump would go.
Thanks for that.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I don't want any issues with titles and don't want any issues to arise with the legitimacy of my registration. Ditto for the insurance dudes. So, what are you guys doing to make all that work for you?
Call your state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles. They can tell you what has to be done to stay legal.
Here in Ohio, you have to have both titles and get the completed vehicle inspected by the Highway Patrol. After passing, they issue a new title and the old ones are made invalid. You have litterally. "made one good one out of two bad ones"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Talked to the seller today who told me he has the title but will have to find it. He's offering a Bill of Sale, but my experience with that process says I would have to file for a Bonded Title, meaning that I'd have to declare a value and then the State would do a title search to see if there are any issues with it...after paying a fee. Starting to make the idea of buying the rosette rivets look better and better.

But, there are a couple of posts in the For Sale forum where comments about the rivets being legal are an issue. One says that there was supposedly a $10K fine for each rivet that you would have in your possession. Don't know how valid that point is, or isn't. I find it hard to believe that someone would offer them for sale and risk a fine that would far outweigh the selling price.

I will have to speak with my DMV and see what I need to do. Didn't have time on Friday. I'm really counting on him having and finding that title. His place did get hit by a tornado a few months ago, but I don't know how much damage was inflicted.

Picking it up, tomorrow. Gotta have it.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
rsavage

Your truck is already registered/titled. You are changing some sheet metal. If it were mine, I would put my VIN plate on the sheet metal (cab) and be done with it. Your truck will be matching numbers with the frame and you won't have some bastardized new DMV supplied VIN that will detract from its value when/if you want to sell it. Lots of past discussions on here about this and I don't see the logic in the arguments with a cab. People could cut the section of the door jam out and weld it onto the new cab if they were really concerned about the rivets. Just MO.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Excellent advice. Simple cuts with a plasma cutter and it will be a done deal. Even if all we have is a cut-off tool and a MIG welder....a bit of clean up and its done. Think that's the route to take. Don't know why these issues get to be so dramatic when the answer is so simple. Human nature, I guess.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Excellent advice. Simple cuts with a plasma cutter and it will be a done deal. Even if all we have is a cut-off tool and a MIG welder....a bit of clean up and its done. Think that's the route to take. Don't know why these issues get to be so dramatic when the answer is so simple. Human nature, I guess.
I had a similar situation. After aquiring the correct rivets my problem was resolved within 5 min. Just that simple.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #15
alsriv2

Thank you for the information. Your project looks great! I am trying to decide if I am going to keep my '69 GMC Longhorn or sell and buy a '69 C-10 396 CST that I found by accident. I am told I can have one or the other, but not both. LOL!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Thank you for the information. Your project looks great! I am trying to decide if I am going to keep my '69 GMC Longhorn or sell and buy a '69 C-10 396 CST that I found by accident. I am told I can have one or the other, but not both. LOL!

No comment on titles but you need to learn therule;

Having been married for a while and after being told I can only have this or that in various circumstances,I have finally learned that

It's easier to beg forgiveness than to recieve permission,"
Meaning,you should have gotten the second truck then mentioned it to your bride.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-03-2010 at 06:44 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
alsriv2

LOL! Thanks for the advice!