The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
STANGGT46

I've Been Furiously Searching...

...and I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. (maybe it doesn't exist) I figured that you guys would run across something that fits what i'm looking for, so if you do, I would really appreciate it if you would shoot me a pm or post it here.

My daughter is turning 16 in December, and I'm looking for a nice truck for her first vehicle. She seems to like the 67-72 trucks, so I'm looking for a nice 67-72 swb (stepside preferrably) with a newer EFI V8. I considered starting from scratch and putting one together myself, but I just don't have the time right now. I've run across a few with older setups (ie; TPI 80's Camaro engines), but I'm looking for something with a more recent EFI setup. I've considered going the carb route, but I want to make sure that it's extremely reliable. I'd rather not get a big block, though I came very close to bidding on a very nice truck with a 396... It has to have A/C and I would prefer if the paint is in good to great shape. Also, 4-wheel disc brakes and power steering...just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Anyway, I figured that something like what I'm looking for would be out there, considering how popular these trucks are, but I haven't had much luck. I've tried Craigslist searches through "autotempest" and I've been searching ebay for a couple of months. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by STANGGT46; 09-29-2010 at 05:53 PM.
STANGGT46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
yote1234

Re: I've Been Furiously Searching...

just craigslist... but, welcome to the board from az
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
6772owner
Gearhead

I would also search the for sale ads here on the board, you might have better luck finding something that was done correctly (read reliable) and get a better deal from a fellow board member than a total "stranger"

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

to the board!

As I was reading your "want" list, my own wishes from the past came to light. Specifically, I wanted what seemed to be a reasonable vehicle...a '29 Ford roadster on a set of '32 rails. I mean, what's so unreasonable about that? I know that Deuce bodies (real steel) are scarce and there are both glass and steel replacements. A-bodies are more common and not as expensive. So, my request to a guy who owns the same Deuce 5-window coupe, with its' "Offenhauser" flathead....since he was in high school (graduated in '64)....he kinda laughed at me. Hurt my feelings, too.

I'm sure that what you want is out there. A friend here, did some trading and used some $$ and got a '68 SWB that has a 5.3/4L60E drivetrain in a powder-coated chassis with a 4/6 drop...so, it's kinda like what you want to find. It is an unfinished project, but it's well on its way to be being a driver. By the way, it came from the Dallas/FW area.

www.hotrodlane.cc is the website for Street and Performance, in Mena, AR. They market the engines and components to put an LS-series engine in just about any GM vehicle and may be another source for information. One of the principals in the company has a '71 with a 5.3 and an automatic. It's on their home page.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
STANGGT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
to the board!

As I was reading your "want" list, my own wishes from the past came to light. Specifically, I wanted what seemed to be a reasonable vehicle...a '29 Ford roadster on a set of '32 rails. I mean, what's so unreasonable about that? I know that Deuce bodies (real steel) are scarce and there are both glass and steel replacements. A-bodies are more common and not as expensive. So, my request to a guy who owns the same Deuce 5-window coupe, with its' "Offenhauser" flathead....since he was in high school (graduated in '64)....he kinda laughed at me. Hurt my feelings, too.

I'm sure that what you want is out there. A friend here, did some trading and used some $$ and got a '68 SWB that has a 5.3/4L60E drivetrain in a powder-coated chassis with a 4/6 drop...so, it's kinda like what you want to find. It is an unfinished project, but it's well on its way to be being a driver. By the way, it came from the Dallas/FW area.

www.hotrodlane.cc is the website for Street and Performance, in Mena, AR. They market the engines and components to put an LS-series engine in just about any GM vehicle and may be another source for information. One of the principals in the company has a '71 with a 5.3 and an automatic. It's on their home page.
haha...I'm with ya...I understand that it's hard to find something that meets those needs, I just figured that there would be more out there with how popular these trucks are. When it comes to Camaros and Mustangs, there are many out there where people have swapped in newer efi engines, so I figured that it would be the same for these trucks. I had a '69 Mustang fastback with a late model efi 302/T5 combo, and I personally know of two people that have 68/69 Camaros with LS1/LS6/T56 combos (respectively). I'll just keep my eye out and hopefully I'll run across one. I appreciate the info, by the way!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
wild4wheels

Don't know what your budget is but Spal Fans had their "Back in Black" '67 short wide for sale earlier this year. But I am great at spending other peoples money.

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
howard_m18

Here is the link to "Craigslist by state" Good luck,Howard

http://www.themccumbers.com/States.htm
Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
71tahoe

Check this out!!!

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/1981404209.html
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

That is a bargain!!! And, it looks good in the pix. A personal eyeball may show it to have other issues, because the flat paint won't show imperfections like a glossy finish would, but it sure looks like a bargain to me.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
68 short step

what price range you looking at?
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
STANGGT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
thank you for posting that...I watched that truck on eBay for a while, but I didn't bite because it was a little incomplete and I'm not a big fan of the GMC front end. I'm going to ask around to see what it would take to get the ac done, paint, etc, though. It sounds like the hard stuff (drive train and electronics) are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
what price range you looking at?
It really depends on the truck, but probably 15k or so, on the higher end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
big_al_71

you have to be extremely carefull as there are many so car builders that are really good on riggin stuff and cutting corners.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT46 View Post
I didn't bite because it was a little incomplete and I'm not a big fan of the GMC front end.
You can easily change the GMC front end to a 67/68 Chevy front end. Just takes the 67/68 hood, 67/68 Chevy core support, and a 67/68 Chevy grille. Any good painter should be able to match the paint that's on the truck, and it's not a lot of work, probably under $500 if you install the parts yourself.

Edit: I should add, when you do find "the" truck, if it's not local to you, post it on the board and see if someone from the board will check it out for you. There is a good chance someone here will be close, and who better than a truck guy to check it out?

Last edited by 71swb4x4; 10-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.
71swb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
STANGGT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
you have to be extremely carefull as there are many so car builders that are really good on riggin stuff and cutting corners.
That's another thing that I was worried about, especially considering the distance...I wouldn't be able to inspect it very easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT46 View Post
That's another thing that I was worried about, especially considering the distance...I wouldn't be able to inspect it very easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
we were posting at the same time, thinking the same thing. Take a look at my edit above. I have looked at a truck for someone in Canada, and someone looked at a California truck for me. The California deal saved me a ton of money, the pictures were great, in real-life the truck wasn't.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
STANGGT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
You can easily change the GMC front end to a 67/68 Chevy front end. Just takes the 67/68 hood, 67/68 Chevy core support, and a 67/68 Chevy grille. Any good painter should be able to match the paint that's on the truck, and it's not a lot of work, probably under $500 if you install the parts yourself.

Edit: I should add, when you do find "the" truck, if it's not local to you, post it on the board and see if someone from the board will check it out for you. There is a good chance someone here will be close, and who better than a truck guy to check it out?
Excellent idea...Hopefully there's someone close to inspect it, if I find one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
grs

I sent you a Pm.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
howard_m18

Here is 2 good links with trucks all over the US? Howard

http://www.autotraderclassics.com

http://countryclassiccars.com/trucks/trucks.htm

Last edited by howard_m18; 10-03-2010 at 10:18 PM.
howard_m18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
SCOTI

Find the right truck locally w/a carb'd motor. Sell off the carb'd drivetrain & pay an experienced installer to do a 5.3ls swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
jackyl9999

The truck on jonesboro craigslist looks like a great deal. I had considered it, but I would probably have to sleep in it. Wives just don't understand.

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
howard_m18

There could be worse trucks to sleep in? As long as the floor is clean. HE! HE! Howard
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
TomBennett

Just saw this one on Kansas City craigslist. Might be close to what your looking for. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1983963432.html
TomBennett is offline   Reply With Quote