The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
dag19

2 row or 3 row radiator?

What is the main difference between a 2 row and 3 row radiator? (other than the obvious! ) Cooling benefits? Number of fins/spacing? OEM style versus Aluminum? Which is preferable? Anything else that I am missing would be appreciated. THANKS!
dag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
dag19

Re: 2 row or 3 row radiator?

Surely SOMEONE out there knows something about radiators. Enlighten me...PLEASE!!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
GMCBubba

well, i am definitely no expert, but i just upgraded to a 4 row oem style (copper), for under $200 from oreilly. figured it would get me better cooling for the hot weather, hot motor, and possible future A/C. it DOES require new mounting brackets/saddles that you can get from people like gmcpauls or ebay (a little cheaper).

now i need to figure out what to do with the old 2 row.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
DaSchlange

Well I know that OEM styles, most of them, are aluminum housing with plastic inserts. You can find a guy on ebay that makes custom ones that are all aluminum, which is the only way I would go. The plastic doesn't rust, but it isn't as tough either. As far as the amount of rows, I read on another website here...

Quote:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....95&postcount=7

I'm with Martin on this ... if you have good factory (HD cooling) parts there's no reason to convert to a three row just for the sake you have a three row. I also know nothing about a CSF, but did extensive research comparing a 2-row Modine to a 3-row GDI... talked to their engineers and have all the specs.

If you do the math, the fact is a 2-row Modine (Chrysler OEM) has approximately 10% more cooling capacity than a 3-row GDI due to fewer, but larger tubes---allowing better flow over the long term. Any new radiator will be an improvement over the old just due to the fact all the tubes will be clear and open. As it was explained, another vital spec other than the number of tubes and the tube diameter are the number of fins-per-inch ... at that point I stopped my pursuit of the perfect pre-manufactured radiator.

As a result, I decided to replace my original factory 2 row with another factory 2 row ... the new ones are aluminum with plastic tanks and so far the cooling is excellent with zero problems. Keep in mind I have the factory heavy duty cooling system to begin with.

I would be interested to see the engineering specs on the CSF and where it's manufactured ... and would be surprised if the tube size and fins-per-inch are any different than the GDI.

Good luck whatever you decide.
So it looks like the 2 row is 10% more efficient than the 3 row, however I do not know if I would go with the 3 row. Seems to be something is better for a dragster or heavy duty truck. So, unless you are planning on doing some serious racing, I would just get the 2 row.
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
dag19

That is a very good post, thanks for the info. I have been researching this dilemma I am in and have found that all the "big" radiator companies such as Be Cool or Ron Davis Racing for example all sell 2 row radiators with 1" tubes. The amount of fins on them vary but it seems like they have a lot, comparitevly. They always have ratings for HP that they say they can cool and it seems like the only thing that changes is the fan set up and the CFM they push. So as I understand it aluminum has much better and faster cooling properties than good old fashioned copper. I will probably go that route.

I suppose each set up is dependant on your particular application but I sure would like to find a happy medium. The aforementioned radiators are only a cool grand to $1500. A bit ridiculous!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
GMCBubba

here are some thoughts in this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411876
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
dag19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCBubba View Post
here are some thoughts in this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411876
Thats a great link, very helpful. Now I just need to figure out how to find those links!! Thanks