The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
gregg72340

TH350 Problems.....need some advice

I know this is in the wrong forum but hopefully you guys may have more experience with this problem

1985 c-10 305/350 combo

I am trying to pull this truck outta the woods because it was free, and it has a trans issue. Previous owner (10 years ago) said that it had a head gasket issue. Well low and behold it really doesn't. It holds all the coolant and doesn't smoke(after running for 2 1/2 hours) Bigger problem it has is this with the trans. It basically is puking trans fluid out as fast as it is going in. what fluid that was still in the trans did n not smell burned and is not really discolored other than normal color. I cant see anywhere externally (lines, pan, modulator, rear seal). am I safe to assume that the only other place that it might be leaking out of is the front seal? When you fire the truck up and put it in gear it tries to move itself forward(Can feel it try to move itself slightly) but loses the fluid almost as fast as you're putting it in. Does anyone think this may be worth trying to put a front seal into the trans to see if it might work or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should just replace it. since it feels like it is trying to move before it loses all the fluid I was just hoping since the seal may be shot that it just cant build enough pressure to move. Just curious everyones thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Gregg
Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
RCbowtie69

Re: TH350 Problems.....need some advice

does the trans, have a dust sheild on it, if it does, you can pull a few screws out & drop it to see if the fluid is runnig out, to put a front seal in it you'll have to pull the trans, it may be leaking at the dip stick tube, it has rubber O-ring hop this helps you. keep on truckin''
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
gregg72340

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 View Post
does the trans, have a dust sheild on it, if it does, you can pull a few screws out & drop it to see if the fluid is runnig out, to put a front seal in it you'll have to pull the trans, it may be leaking at the dip stick tube, it has rubber O-ring hop this helps you. keep on truckin''
Definitly not the tube, this thing dumps the fluid quick...........really quick and it blows everywhere. If its wet in the converter area does that mean its the seal or an internal seal forcing it out past the seal?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
pat 70/71

I had a truck that shifted fine but leaked real bad at the front of the trans( had been sitting for three years) I pulled the trans changed front seal/ rear seal pan gasket put it back & still leaked. as it turned out it was the pump seal. I'm telling you this so you don't go through what I went through . pull it clean it let a pro change all seals/gaskets & drive your new truck! worst thing for our trucks is to let them sit. IMO. have fun sorry for the long diatribe. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote