The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
DuallyFlatbed

Timing 12 initial 22 total?

Hey guys, my first post!

I picked up a 70 c-30 about a month ago and have been trying to get her running right since.( it broke down halfway home, flooded out)

Its a 283 out of a 65 c-10, with a 68 buick lesabre quadrajet on top. Atleast thats what my research shows. Im assuming motor is fairly stock built.

I rebuilt the carb and now shes running ok, but i figured i'd give her a tuneup before i go break down again. I'm trying to set the timing but thats where im running into problems.

I set her to 12* intial, dizzy vac unplugged.

I reved it where the timing stopped advancing and got 22*. (no tach to go by)

Shouldnt it be around 34-36? With the dizzy vac hooked back up i got around 41* before it stopped advanceing.

Its a points ignition, and i just figured out how to use a timing light 2 days ago. Any help would be appreciated guys.
DuallyFlatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Kerry P

Re: Timing 12 initial 22 total?

You're right total mechanical advance should typically be 34 to 40 degrees. Compression and cylinder head chamber design being big variables in total timing. Camshaft duration has a big effect on the curve and initial timing.

Old iron factory heads often use about 4 more degrees of total timing than modern heads. I found Vortecs to be very sensitive to total too much timing. Sort of a by product of their efficient chambers.

Don't try to use the vacuum advance as a band aid. It will look right using a timing light but under load you won't be making the vacuum you do while you're reving and setting the timing.

Kerry P
Kerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
DuallyFlatbed

Thanks for the tips

When i first checked the timing it was advance around 20 or so, it was up there. I googled some more and im thinking its spring loaded arms on top under the cap.

I guess thats why they had it timed so high, to compensate for the bad dizzy.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
LEEVON

replace the bushings and springs, that usually helps and you can also get adjustable vacuum advance canisters for a few bucks.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Kerry P

Mechanical advances get dirty, get rusty and/or wear and then stick or become erratic.

It's a good idea to take a look under the cap. Sometime cleaning and lubricating fix the issue.

Kerry P
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
DuallyFlatbed

The arms looked pretty corroded. This distributor is gonna need some work put into it and i dont really spend any money on the points system thats on it now.

I've got another SB chevy thats got a HEI on it, im gonna just throw it on the truck for now to get it running and worry about a dizzy for the other chevy later.

Thanks for the replys guys, i appreciate the help.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Kerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyFlatbed View Post
The arms looked pretty corroded. This distributor is gonna need some work put into it and i dont really spend any money on the points system thats on it now.

I've got another SB chevy thats got a HEI on it, im gonna just throw it on the truck for now to get it running and worry about a dizzy for the other chevy later.

Thanks for the replys guys, i appreciate the help.

Just something to watch for: Typically an HEI works with full voltage and the coil on a pre=HEI vehicle is fed with reduced voltage via a "resistance wire".

Kerry P