The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

83 c10 fuel smell in the cab

Ac truck. The PO took out all the "unnecessary vacuum line" and instead put a bunch of caps in its place. i don't need it to be 100% smog approved, but would like to rid myself of the smell. Cab is solid, rust free 92k mile truck, seals are good (or at least should be) etc.

First thing i noticed was that it has a metal line running under the radiator to the charcoal canister, but all others were open. With it like this i had gas smell when heater or ac was on occasionally but never anytime else.

So i decided to cap the other 5 connections off now i have gas smell pretty bad all the time. What of the other 5 connections do i need to connect to the intake, and should it be on a ported passage way or all the time passage way?

I have dual tanks, whats the probability that something else fuel system is leaking? anyway tips of things to look for? selector works every time so i know its not bad.

And is there supposed to be a filter before it goes to the vacuum diaphragm ball? Just trying to make it smell a little better inside for me and the girly. Thanks guys.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
irishman999

Re: 83 c10 fuel smell in the cab

I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be the float bowl vent line, Its a pretty big port on the front of the carb. About a month ago I had a rubber line under the truck rupture and spill gasoline everywhere. It was part of the selector unit under the truck. Just climb under the truck between your cab and rear tire on the passenger side, Remove the thin cover and check out those rubber hoses.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Well blocking the rest of the connections off was a stupid idea. Thing had some pressure built up now! Took the cap off and she let loose a good whistle. Took some of the smell away. I was also gonna check the egr cause I know he took that vacuum line off and it stumbles off idle sometimes. Sometime in the next week ill check out underneath I got vacation starting next tuesday from school and work.
Posted via Mobile Device

My name tag says Ryan

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

the line that goes to the charcoal can, if the can is gone that line needs to be open to vent the tank or pressure will build up, you can put a filter on it or another charcoal can.

If it built up pressure in the tank you shouldn't have a line loose or leaking, we had one loose under the cab and smelled bad like gas, but wouldn't build pressure in the tank, with the line fixed and not smelling it always built pressure in the tank, when it stopped having pressure and semlt of gas, we know something was loose. For some reason the 84 c10 always has tank pressure and the line isn't kinked or blocked and has no charcoal can on it. I don't think the egr is gonna cause gas smell in the cab, not sure on the vac. lines for a/c but I do know there's a filter or one way valve, which I think is a one way valve, in the a/c system line before the ball, next to the power brake booster I think.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

All my inside controls work fine just don't know if these is supposed to be a filter. Chaecoal canister is there just don't know where that line is supposed to plug into from there and which connection it uses.
Posted via Mobile Device

My name tag says Ryan