The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
justinburnett

Rust is no fun.

So I got this old rustbucket. 1973 gmc 3/4 ton. Love it. Of course, since I want to keep it a while, I don't want to watch it rot away before my eyes, so I'd like some information on rust removal, conversion, encapsulation, prevention, etc. The only place so far that I see any problems where it is actually rusted through are the front fenders. The rest is mild to moderate surface rust that I could PROBABLY sand all off to bare metal if I had a lot of time, but I don't. I work seven days a week but still couldn't afford to pay someone to do this so it falls on me in my off time.

Has anyone used some of the products out there? Eastwood has a few products that look like they'd be pretty user-friendly but do they work? Please let me know of any personal experiences anyone might have. I'd like to do this as close to "right" as I can, while still keeping within a budget and getting it done before it starts raining every day. I'm not worried about getting a perfect show finish out of it, I just want it to last a long time without rusting through the bed and such. Thanks guys.

P.S. tried searching for this stuff but I couldn't figure out how. Sorry if this is a repeat, I'm not really an expert on the internet thing.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
PRattenbury

Re: Rust is no fun.

Sort of depends on where the rust is. If it is in inconspicuous places I like Chassis Saver. Just wire brush the crust off and apply it. If the rust is where it can be seen, then the old school sand it down to bare metal, then self-etching primer, then red lead or high-build primer, then sanding again, and top coating would be the ticket. But I am one of those people that would hand that over to a pro. I don't have the patience or talent to get it done right.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
justinburnett

Re: Rust is no fun.

I probably don't have the talent either, but neither do I have the money so I'm going to try and see. Honestly, the bed is kinda banged up anyway, so if it's not as pretty as it could be, I don't mind because it's never going to be a show truck anyway, just don't want it to rust away into scrap.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote