The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
TimQ

Noobs next task...Fixing that knocking noise

Before this time last year, I never touched a car engine in my life. Learned quite a lot poking around on the boards and have gotten lots of great advice. I finally fixed the intermittant stalling problem that hassled me for quite a while. Turns out it was the darned ESC. Once I bypassed that, she runs like a champ.

So, as is the case with these old girls, you fix one thing and another problem comes to light. In my case, I seem to have a bit of a rattle or knock. It's loudest as I sort of cruis slow out of the neighborhood, but it would always be there. A mechanic told me it sounds a collapsing lifter.

As background, I have an 86 C10, V6, 4.3 automatic with 89,000 original miles. Yeah...never gonna light em up at the light, but it serves my purposes of hauling mulch and lumber.

Poking around the boards and elsewhere, I figured I'd try some Seafoam. Seems to have done quite a nice job. I put some in the oil, drove till the oil was dirty and changed it. Added some more, drive a bit more, and plan to change the ooil again today.

Now, when I start the truck up, the tick is still there but is diminished. And, if I drive 20 miles or so, it pretty much goes away.

Way back last year, I had the one valve cover off and I remember seeing some sludge. Since I had no clue what I was doing...I just figured it was normal and moved on. Recalling that, I decided to pull the valve cover again this morning. Here's what I found.

Name:  DSCF0130.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0114.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  50.5 KB

Truck runs generally fine. I get a good puff of smole on startup, especially after a few days. I also notice a bit of smoke at stop lights if I tap the throttle. But, cruising along there's no noticable smoke and the oil use has never been problematic.

I'd imagine this gunk might be causing my ticking. The seafoam seems to be breaking it down. So, my question now is...what to do? Do I keep changing the oil and adding Seaform every 100 miles till it goes away? Do I scoop out as much of this stuff as I can first? Do I just put the covers back on and forget about it?

Just trying to make this truck last as long as I can. And, with less than 90k miles on it, it would seem I have a ways to go if I make the right choices.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
TQ
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
PRattenbury

Re: Noobs next task...Fixing that knocking noise

Well, if it looks like that under one valve cover, it's a good bet it's the same under the other valve cover. And if it looks like that under the valve covers, it likely also looks like that under the intake manifold. And if it looks like that under the valve covers and under the intake, it probably looks like that behind the timing chain cover, and in the oil pan. If you think you have a bad lifter you will have to pull the intake to replace it. So in theory you could go in and replace the cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, and do the valve stem seals and pull the oil pan to de-sludge it and the oil pump pickup tube and screen, maybe even replace the oil pump... or you could say the hell with it, rip the engine out and drop in a crate motor for less than a grand. I dug into my engine and did the first choice. Looking back, the crate engine was the better choice. So I wouldn't let the ticking bug me much, and just drive it that way while I save my pennies for a new motah. That's what I'm doing. But I pissed away a lot of money on a crap engne first.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Noobs next task...Fixing that knocking noise

and if you put your cam and lifters in it why not go ahead and replace the valve springs because they uysually wear out with time just a thought

i'm not sure on that crate engine less than a grand though most i've seen is way over 1000

Last edited by nbpro; 10-09-2010 at 02:28 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote