The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
MacMek20

Headers and fulltime to parttime conversion..

Hello,
I have a couple of questions on some things.
First, headers. Right now I have full length headers, not sure who they are made by. Just a week ago, they rusted through enough so that there is a hole in them. Right now I don't have much money, so I am looking for a cheap set of headers. I saw a set on SummitRacing for $100 and was thinking about getting them, would they last through winter? Would they be bolt-on, since I already have full length headers installed?
Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006/
I noticed that the flow-tech headers that they also sell appear to be the same thing, but cost more.
I was also considering installing the Mile-Marker 501 kit in my np203 transfer case so my truck isn't full-time 4wd. Would it be worth my time? I don't plan on putting huge tires on my truck (max I would even consider putting on it is 33"s)
My truck has a 350 and auto tranny.
Pics:

MacMek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
MacMek20

Re: Headers and fulltime to parttime conversion..

So my mufflers kinda split open today, so I decided to just leave my truck at my mechanics.
Would these all go together nicely on my truck?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-89004/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17713/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006/
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

1) By ALL means, get the part time kit. I put one on my Blazer a while back and had some hugely noticeable improvements in gas mileage. One of the best upgrades I ever did to it. My Blazer also had the NP203 transfer case and I was running 33s on it at the time.

2) That kit looks like it would work on your truck. Is the rest of the exhaust system shot? Do you really need mufflers and a complete system right now? If not, just get the headers and you'll likely have to have a muffler shop cut/route the existing system to the headers if you install them yourself. If the entire system is shot, I'd just get the headers and have a local muffler shop do the rest.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

By the way, what size tires are those on your truck?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
MacMek20

Thanks, I will get the part-time kit next time I get some spare cash. Do you have any estimates on the mileage improvements?
My headers have been shot for a while (at this point, I think I could poke a hole in them with a screwdriver if I wanted to) and when my dad had the exhaust redone previously, the header was just welded to the pipe, so I will most likely need the straight pipe to the mufflers replaced.
What I am thinking of doing is keeping my muffler-back, and replacing the rest. Having the pipes bent and such would probably cost a bit.
So if I do that, what I need is is headers and mufflers. I am not sure what size my exhaust is, so I will have to find that out. But what I need to know is if those headers I posted the link to are decent and will last a few years?

Not exactly sure on my tire size, I have been meaning to find out what they are.

Last edited by MacMek20; 09-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

The thing about headers is you get what you pay for most of the time. It all depends on the road/climate conditions. I've gone the headers/flowmasters route before, and I'm going to stick with exhaust manifolds this time around. If you are not dead set on headers, I'd invest in a good set of exhaust manifolds. In all likelihood, those will outlast the headers you are looking at.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
MacMek20

What is the difference between headers and manifolds? I have heard the headers give more power, is that true?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Well, yes, but there are also other things involved. A good set of headers will flow better than restrictive manifolds. Some rodders like the look of the ram's horn exhaust manifolds and some claim the ram's horn exhaust manifolds are very close to header-like performance. With headers come some trade-offs. They will be much louder (a plus for some). Sometimes they get in the way of spark plugs so an easy spark plug change becomes harder. Sometimes they run too close to the oil filter. You pretty much have to tighten them on a regular basis. Clearance issues are likely. Exhaust manifolds are very straight forward and to me, at this point, anyway, the 10-15 extra horsepower isn't worth it to get headers, but to each his/her own.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
MacMek20

Well, I have never driven/seen my truck without headers on it (my dad put them on when he rebuilt the motor years ago) so I am used to them.
But how long can I expect a cheap set of headers like the ones I posted the link to? I think the ones I have on now lasted over 5 years, and they are supposedly just a cheap set.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
MacMek20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
By the way, what size tires are those on your truck?
Sorry it took a long time to get back to you on this, been busy.
But they are 235/85R16
A lot bigger than I thought they were.
In inches, that is about 32x9.25x16.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
MTCK

Good looking truck. Those headers should work fine. I'd take it to a shop and let them weld up the rest of the system rather than buy that tailpipe kit. Also put another vote down for the part time 203 kit.
Posted via Mobile Device

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
MacMek20

I forgot to mention what exhaust ended up on it. I didn't have the money to fix it, so I did some work for some one and my dad repaid me by replacing the exhaust. Now it has manifolds (that look sorta like headers, bit different than I expected them to look) that goes to a single and exits on the left after the wheels. Not sure what he put on for a muffler, but it sounds about the same as my old duals did.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
str8axle55

Great looking truck, super clean build on the head ache rack. You`ll probly be better off with the manifolds for the Maine winters.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMek20 View Post
Well, I have never driven/seen my truck without headers on it (my dad put them on when he rebuilt the motor years ago) so I am used to them.
But how long can I expect a cheap set of headers like the ones I posted the link to? I think the ones I have on now lasted over 5 years, and they are supposedly just a cheap set.
I put on a set of the Summit headers seven years ago and they are still going strong. I have had them on three different trucks now. I say they should last you as long as the ones you have on there now.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote