The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Youngbuck7072

What is better; Edelbrock Performer intake or a Weiand Stealth(single plain) intake?

so wich one is beter? i already have the edelbrock but this guy is selling the weind for 65$ he said it was a single plain(i think that thats the stelth), but im not sure
................(O)..........(O)
Youngbuck7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
GMCBubba

Re: What is better; Edelbrock Performer intake or a Weiand Stealth(single plain) inta

you want dual plane for street use.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Re: What is better; Edelbrock Performer intake or a Weiand Stealth(single plain) inta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCBubba View Post
you want dual plane for street use.
x2

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Youngbuck7072

what is a singleplain and dual plane, like what does it mean?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Looking into the manifold, just below the carb:

a single plane is one open hole and there is less control in the fuel distribution. Typically used for a higher rpm application (racing / HP).

a dual plane is divided in the center and is for better fuel distribution. Idles better and has better low RPM performance for street use vehicles.

an air gap manifold has a piece of the divider that is cut out.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-09-2010 at 06:38 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
lrader99

i personally prefer Air gaps or cross planes. or modify an Air gap. but the Performer and the performer RPM intakes are awesome especially when coupled with a Carter or Edelbrock Carb... The modern Edelbrock peformer carburetors are just a slightly re designed Carter AFB. Now, the Edelbrock Thunder AVS series carbs are awesome. they still have no power valve, hallelujah, but they have better metering and fuel control.
lrader99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Youngbuck7072

well i have a carter AFB carb that i just got yesterday so sweet! what is the advantage of an air gap, like what does it do?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
lrader99

air gaps help aid fuel mixture by creating a slight swirl, they also help in the upper RPM range air flow
Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbuck7072 View Post
well i have a carter AFB carb that i just got yesterday so sweet! what is the advantage of an air gap, like what does it do?
The air gap intakes also prevent the hot engine heat from transferring to the intake runners and carb base plate giving it a cooler dense air fuel mixture.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
aintmisbehavinn

My Weiland (dual plane) has been perfect for daily driver with big cam and stall. If you run a mild to large cam you may encounter idle quality with the single plane. My dual plane is good to 6K with a mech Holley and needs no choke, even on the coldest days.

I wouldn't have it any other way, the stealth has lower and upper RPM range and the one inch spacer mixes it all up in the dual plane. Perfect for these heavy full metal jackets.

Last edited by aintmisbehavinn; 10-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
aintmisbehavinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
lrader99

Air gap, literally the runner are up above the manifold valley plate. there is a GAP between the runners and the intake base. traditionally this yields longer intake runners which means more low end torque
Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
denny5625

I have the Stealth dual plane on my 454 and it flat gets with the program. The RPM range is from idle to 6,800.
72 2 wd Blazer
(2) 72 4 x 4 Blazers
88 24' Mirage 70 mph+
08 Harley Night Train
08 Silverado 4d 4 x 4
denny5625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Youngbuck7072

thsi would be going on a bone STOCK 350
Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #14
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I've just put a Performer EPS on my fairly stock 350, not got it running yet so I'm not sure what difference its gonna make but it has to be better than the stock manifold which had an adaptor to make the Carter AFB fit. Its supposed to be a little bit better than a stock performer.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

12 years ago when I was building a motor for my 80 K20 I was torn between the two. I went to a speed shop and had both laid out on the counter for my personal inspection.
the stealth had better looking molding, more accurate machining, and larger plenum volume.
the only reason people go with the performer is they have better advertising and have to prove themselves. Weiand seems to have this "we are good and we know it. if you want the best you will find us" attitude. I did and was exceptionally pleased with my decision to spend the extra $10.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
llowlife

Bone stock 350?
Not to beat a dead horse but...whats wrong with a factory 4 barrel? Unless you are going for looks you may get a whisker more of torque and power but not sure it would be noticeable. That being said if you must have an aftermarket manifold a dual plane will outperform a single on the street especially on a bone stock......I'd save my money and just port match the current 4 barrell as a single plane manifold will likely have larger ports than what I assume your "stock" heads will have. This will create reversion and probably reduce your torque and power. If you do decide to get it anyway and install it I strongly suspect I will see a post entitled..."Bog off idle, how can I fix it?"

In Building a motor parts selection and compatibility are very very important and just buying something cuz its a "good deal" and throwing it at the motor usually results in disappointment.

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.

Last edited by llowlife; 10-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Youngbuck7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowlife View Post
Bone stock 350?
Not to beat a dead horse but...whats wrong with a factory 4 barrel? Unless you are going for looks you may get a whisker more of torque and power but not sure it would be noticeable. That being said if you must have an aftermarket manifold a dual plane will outperform a single on the street especially on a bone stock......I'd save my money and just port match the current 4 barrell as a single plane manifold will likely have larger ports than what I assume your "stock" heads will have. This will create reversion and probably reduce your torque and power. If you do decide to get it anyway and install it I strongly suspect I will see a post entitled..."Bog off idle, how can I fix it?"

In Building a motor parts selection and compatibility are very very important and just buying something cuz its a "good deal" and throwing it at the motor usually results in disappointment.
the reason im doing it is because the quadrajet that was previously on it is shot, and there is a small leak coming from the stock manifold where the thermostat housing sits, and i have torn it apart at least five times and re sealed it and it keeps leaking so i have to put a new manifold on it anyways, might as well just put the edelbrock on it since i have it....

Last edited by Youngbuck7072; 10-10-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Pretty much the same reason I did it, rust around the t-stat housing left me with a permanent small leak despite trying both gasket and o-ring type water necks, plus it came with a Carter AFB sat on it so as the stock manifold was for a spread bore carb it had an adaptor to match it up. Plus its a whole hell of a lot lighter which is never a bad thing, I subscribe to Colin Chapmans philosophy that making stuff lighter is free speed.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Youngbuck7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
I subscribe to Colin Chapmans philosophy that making stuff lighter is free speed.
damn right
Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Well, technically it ain't free... it's the cost of an aluminum intake in this case.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Youngbuck7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Well, technically it ain't free... it's the cost of an aluminum intake in this case.
I'm not following....?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Yeah but if you need to replace the part anyway why not go with something lighter.

'67 C10 long fleet.