The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
erick-1

Casting Numbers???

Whats up guys, have a question where can i find casting numbers for 292 engines? I have a made in mexico block cast #s are 93411147 I'd been doing research but can't find anything that will actually match with my numbers.. I wanna know what year this thing was made.
erick-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
texastruckjunky

Re: Casting Numbers???

I have a book here SOMEWHERE if i can find it i'll look it up for you see if it is in there.
texastruckjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
raycow

The casting number will only give you a range of years. For the actual year you want the casting DATE.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
erick-1

okay, Ray wheres that casting date thingy on? Is it the numbers at the distributor base.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick-1 View Post
Is it the numbers at the distributor base.
No, the stamped numbers just give you the month and day the engine was assembled. The year will be cast into the block, not stamped.

On late engines look for a three digit julian date (000 to 366). Near that, the year will be in a circle with a kind of clock face around it. Early engines have a letter (A through L) followed by 2 to 4 digits. The letter indicates the month (A = Jan, B = Feb, etc) and the last 1 or 2 digits will be the year. I don't know what year the numbering changed, but the old system was still being used at least into the 60s.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
erick-1

[QUOTE=raycow;4233713]No, the stamped numbers just give you the month and day the engine was assembled. The year will be cast into the block, not stamped.

On late engines look for a three digit julian date (000 to 366). Near that, the year will be in a circle with a kind of clock face around it. Early engines have a letter (A through L) followed by 2 to 4 digits. The letter indicates the month (A = Jan, B = Feb, etc) and the last 1 or 2 digits will be the year. I don't know what year the numbering changed, but the old system was still being used at least into the 60s.

Ray[/

went out to look at it there's a three digit code however seems funny to me,
it has this lll can't figure if those are three 111 or three l letters they are surrounded by a stupid looking figure not exactly a clock it looks more like two flat head screws, however there is also an 86 at the right side of the cast "mystery" numbers.