The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
hoss67

Identify this transmission please

I can get this transmission real cheap "free". The guy said its a 2004r trans. Was wondering if someone could look at the pics an tell for sure. The only numbers I could find are 8663550 an MD8 the tag is gone off of bellhousing. Also will this fit a 350 chevy motor? Thanks Randy
Attached Images

hoss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Identify this transmission please

the only thing I can tell by those photos, is it won't bolt up to a small block. Looks like it may be out of a 2.8 powered S-10 or camaro.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
hoss67

Thank you that's what I was afraid of. That's for the quick response.
Posted via Mobile Device
hoss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
JRBECK64

I just put one in my Sons 69 long fleet and the only problem we had was we had to file down the lip on the front of the center of the Torque Converter so it would slip inside the back end of the Crank Shaft. If you do get it and it is a 2004R make sure you do that before you try to slip it into the truck. My Sons truck runs great and is very driveable at 65 and 70 MPH. In fact I like it so much that I am putting a 700R4 into my Younger Sons 64 Short Fleet. If you could take a picture of the passenger side of the tranny it might help in the ID of the Tranny.

On the 700R4 the TV Cable is on the drivers Side about half way back and the 2004R is on the Passenger side up front on the tranny. Im sure there are other ways to figure it out. The one thing that has me scratching my head is the long protrusion in the middle of the Torque Converter. The one I had was only about an inch and a half long but that one looks to be pretty long.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Youngbuck7072

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
I just put one in my Sons 69 long fleet and the only problem we had was we had to file down the lip on the front of the center of the Torque Converter so it would slip inside the back end of the Crank Shaft. If you do get it and it is a 2004R make sure you do that before you try to slip it into the truck. My Sons truck runs great and is very driveable at 65 and 70 MPH. In fact I like it so much that I am putting a 700R4 into my Younger Sons 64 Short Fleet. If you could take a picture of the passenger side of the tranny it might help in the ID of the Tranny.

On the 700R4 the TV Cable is on the drivers Side about half way back and the 2004R is on the Passenger side up front on the tranny. Im sure there are other ways to figure it out. The one thing that has me scratching my head is the long protrusion in the middle of the Torque Converter. The one I had was only about an inch and a half long but that one looks to be pretty long.

JRBECK64
don't have anything to say but sweet! another member from oregon
................(O)..........(O)
Youngbuck7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
gearys 5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
the only thing I can tell by those photos, is it won't bolt up to a small block. Looks like it may be out of a 2.8 powered S-10 or camaro.

Thats what its out of. 2.8 v-6 s-10 or camaro

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
JRBECK64

Look What I found

Description
This is a Professionally Rebuilt second generation 700-R4 (MD8) Automatic Transmission that will work behind any 1982-1992 2.2L 4 Cylinder, 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8, 5.7L 350 V8, or other GM, Chevy and GMC applications. Used in such models as Astro Van, Blazer, Camaro, Caprice, Corvette, Impala, Jimmy, S10, S15, Sonoma, Safari, Suburban, Syclone, Full Size C/K Truck, Typhoon, Van, Yukon and many more. All transmissions come with a 6 Month Unlimited Mile Warranty with the purchase of a new torque converter. This transmission contains a Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 stackup (The ¾ Clutch pack is one of the biggest weak spots of the this transmission, this stakup allows the load to be to better distributed on the increased clutch apply area of the 9 clutches instead of the 6 clutches OEM); Borg Warner high energy band (exceeds OEM quality); all new high quality Borg Warner clutches (exceeds OEM quality); new pump, tail housing, case and other bushings; new gaskets, seals, molded pistons, and metal clad seals; new pump vanes; new accumulator pistons; New TransGO Valve Body Seperator Plate; This Transmission also comes with a TransGO shift correction kit. This kit replaces weak valves springs, accumulator springs, servo springs, and fixes other issues with this transmission. Overall the kit helps increase the life and durability of the transmission. We have a many different models of the 700R4 transmission available. We also have many options for upgrades available, or custom high performance applications options, email us for details. If you are not sure of what type of transmission you have or want to know if this will work for you just email us with the vehicle information.

Read more: http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/p...#ixzz11yzX22Pl

I would get it If I were you but you may want to take an etching of the back of your Small Block before you get it to make sure the holes line up. I would also look at the specific application for that Torque Converter.

JRBECK64
Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
gearys 5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Look What I found

Description
This is a Professionally Rebuilt second generation 700-R4 (MD8) Automatic Transmission that will work behind any 1982-1992 2.2L 4 Cylinder, 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8, 5.7L 350 V8, or other GM, Chevy and GMC applications. Used in such models as Astro Van, Blazer, Camaro, Caprice, Corvette, Impala, Jimmy, S10, S15, Sonoma, Safari, Suburban, Syclone, Full Size C/K Truck, Typhoon, Van, Yukon and many more. All transmissions come with a 6 Month Unlimited Mile Warranty with the purchase of a new torque converter. This transmission contains a Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 stackup (The ¾ Clutch pack is one of the biggest weak spots of the this transmission, this stakup allows the load to be to better distributed on the increased clutch apply area of the 9 clutches instead of the 6 clutches OEM); Borg Warner high energy band (exceeds OEM quality); all new high quality Borg Warner clutches (exceeds OEM quality); new pump, tail housing, case and other bushings; new gaskets, seals, molded pistons, and metal clad seals; new pump vanes; new accumulator pistons; New TransGO Valve Body Seperator Plate; This Transmission also comes with a TransGO shift correction kit. This kit replaces weak valves springs, accumulator springs, servo springs, and fixes other issues with this transmission. Overall the kit helps increase the life and durability of the transmission. We have a many different models of the 700R4 transmission available. We also have many options for upgrades available, or custom high performance applications options, email us for details. If you are not sure of what type of transmission you have or want to know if this will work for you just email us with the vehicle information.

Read more: http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/p...#ixzz11yzX22Pl

I would get it If I were you but you may want to take an etching of the back of your Small Block before you get it to make sure the holes line up. I would also look at the specific application for that Torque Converter.

JRBECK64

The transmission in the pic WILL NOT fit a chevrolet small block.

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
raycow

That transmission absolutely will not bolt up to a V-8 or 4.3 V-6. It fits the 60 degree V-6 and some of the 4 cylinder engines. The tag you read sounds like a generic one the rebuilder puts on all of his transmissions.

If it really is free, and you are determined to take it, just make sure you have some place to store it until you can sell it or give it away.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
That transmission absolutely will not bolt up to a V-8 or 4.3 V-6. It fits the 60 degree V-6 and some of the 4 cylinder engines. The tag you read sounds like a generic one the rebuilder puts on all of his transmissions.

If it really is free, and you are determined to take it, just make sure you have some place to store it until you can sell it or give it away.

Ray
After looking at mine I agree. The top is squared off and the one I have is more rounded at the top. Mine came out of a 89 Camero with a 5.7 V8. Sorry For the Bum Scoop.

JRBECK64
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

The pan on a 200-R4 has "METRIC" stamped into it in 1" high letters.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

thats no 200-4r.....or at least it looks nothing like mine.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote