The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
kopfjaegger

Wheel spacers or offset wheels, advice needed.

Hi all, it's been a while since I last posted but I haven't really been able to get at a computer. I recently acquired tires and was presented with a problem that I hope I'll be able to get a solution from someone here.

This is for my '69 K20. I bought a set of Interco Trxus tires in 35x12.5 r15 from a gentleman here locally. They are in great shape and came with the Pro Comp Series 83 wheels. They look really great and the price was extremely reasonable. The wheels also matched what is on my truck so that was an added plus because it meant that I could use one of my other tires as a spare or swap them out in an emergency.

Here is the problem; the tires fit and look great. I get a slight rubbing on the trailing edge of my passenger front on right turns but a slight fender trim or body lift will fix that. No worries since that is the only clearance problem due to tire size. My dilemma lies with the wheels. Two come with an offset, and two do not. I assumed that since they are the same model wheels as my original wheels, they would fit, but when I put them in, the non-offset wheels actually contact the calipers. The offset wheels fit front or rear, no difference. When I switched the front (non offset) tires to the rear to run the truck, it looks a little goofy with the front tires sticking out more than the rear. It drives great and feels awesome, but just looks a little off because of that.

Now my question; it's pretty clear that I have to get the fron and rear to match up and I guess my options are to either get spacers to install the non-offset wheels in the front (I doubt this is a good idea), or purchase offset wheels to match the ones I have. This is no big deal since I can sell the other two. (I have already had people ask).

This leads me to my question; in the latter case, would it be a bad idea to offset the wheels in the long run? I have heard that an offset at the wheels would put stress on the axle and other parts. This truck is not used for serious off roading, just once in a while. From what I see, I've identified the rear axle as a GM corporate 14 bolt although I'm no expert so somebody check me on that. I'm still in the learning phase so the more someone can tell me about this the better. I hear that this axle will handle the stress. I don't know what the front is yet, I couldn't find the type of axle it is because it was hard to see it in the dark yesterday.

If anyone can give me input I would really appreciate. I want to get this out of the way so I can get started on replacing the worn bushings and suspension stuff. I also need to identify the front axle so I can get the right parts. Eventually, I also want to convert the rear brakes to disc, so I guess getting the matching wheels might be the way to go.

Thanks guys

j

ps - this pos didn't upload the pics, but here is a link to photobucket pics. I hope this works.

http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ire%20Problem/
kopfjaegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
kopfjaegger

Re: Wheel spacers or offset wheels, advice needed.

Ok, I think I uploaded these pics, hope they work.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
SWB4x4

you can prolly find some wheels that will fit for the same price as spacers.... those wheels are usually cheap in cost. Have you measured the backspacing on them? the back wheels always tuck in a bit more than the fronts.

1972 SWB 4X4 on 35"s with 6" lift all around 3/4 ton running gear with high steer and 4.88s 350/th350. SOON TO BE DONE:2" higher in front 37"s,LSX Swap,Hugger Orange & White Paint Scheme,Air Conditioning,Power Windows & Locks,Complete Gauge Kit,Tank Relocation,Double Din Nav with full Audio System.

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4169140

Last edited by SWB4x4; 10-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.
SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

What is the backspacing on those wheels? That will help alot
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Must be a front disc conversion on your '69? I thought factory front discs started in 1971. At any rate, 15" wheels usually interfere with the calipers, but only by a small amount. Some of us have ground down the calipers to fit 15s -- apparently the calipers are pretty thick, so removing a little won't hurt. I did this to mine at least 30 years ago and never had any problem.

As to running spacers.... I personally would not, especially if you'll be carrying fairly heavy loads or working the truck very hard (off road or strong engine).

The bearings in these K20 seem to be pretty stout and I don't think you'll hurt them in normal use with offset wheels. But since you're considering different wheels anyway, why not switch to 16"? They'll clear the calipers...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
72chevyk10
I built it

pretty sure the front axle is wider then the rear axle anyway? i have stock rally wheels on mine and the front sticks out more then the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
kopfjaegger

72chevy, you're right. I'm sure the offset what to account for that difference between the front and rear axles.

scottsdaleowner75 I'll check the spacing tomorrow, I just ran out of daylight.

SWB4x4 you're right. I've been looking around at prices and they are pretty cheap. If I get other wheels I'll sell the other two I'm replacing. I do like the look of the offset wheels, they stick out pretty nice.

Stocker I have heard about grinding the caliper. I'm going to investigate this posibility. I would really like to keep these wheels because they basically fell on my lap. I'll check and see what the offset is tomorrow and I'll probably be back on the forum to ask how to grind them. Do you have any tips? I assume I have to remove the calipers completely and grind on a bench grinder.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

j
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
jrdv

The front axle is wider than the rear so the back tires will follow the front tires in the mud. It helps to keep you from swapping ends when it is slick.

I do understand that it looks funny, but there is a reason for it!

john
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
jrdv

PS....those tires are really good all around tires. They are great in snow and mud, plus they aren't annoying on the hiway! I've run them for about 4 years on a couple of trucks. The price isn't too bad either.
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopfjaegger View Post
I'll probably be back on the forum to ask how to grind them. Do you have any tips? I assume I have to remove the calipers completely and grind on a bench grinder.
I left the calipers on the truck, and used a borrowed angle grinder with an abrasive disk. Just trial-and-error -- see where the wheel is hitting and take off a little material, then test-fit the wheel again until there's no rubbing. Be sure to rotate the wheel as you check for contact.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
SWB4x4

Grab an angle grinder at Harbor Freight cheap and get some good discs then grab a can of spray paint something in a bright color and spray paint the caliper put the wheel back on spin the wheel where the paint came off Grind!

1972 SWB 4X4 on 35"s with 6" lift all around 3/4 ton running gear with high steer and 4.88s 350/th350. SOON TO BE DONE:2" higher in front 37"s,LSX Swap,Hugger Orange & White Paint Scheme,Air Conditioning,Power Windows & Locks,Complete Gauge Kit,Tank Relocation,Double Din Nav with full Audio System.

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4169140

Last edited by SWB4x4; 10-08-2010 at 04:43 AM.
SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdv View Post
PS....those tires are really good all around tires. They are great in snow and mud, plus they aren't annoying on the hiway! I've run them for about 4 years on a couple of trucks. The price isn't too bad either.
same tires here too. great off road and on road with snow and ice and everything. and they are pretty much silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
kopfjaegger

Glad you like the tires. I've been riding them around for the past week or so and they are awesome. The ride is great and they are quiet on the road. It rained pretty hard (at least for here) last week and they were awesome in the water. Can't wait for snow. Will keep you all posted.