The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
sjarrett71

Smile Boy Am I lucky!!

I took my 72 GMC on a 3 hour road trip today to pick up a fridge that I found that was a really good deal. I made it all the way there and back and the truck ran great (longest trip so far). I was just saying to myself how great the truck ran when I pulled into O'Reilly's to get oil and a filter for my sister's car and my truck died. It would not start no matter what I tried. A buddy that I met Saturday that has a 72 Chevy pulled in and said "it's your module". A mechanic friend was there and said "it's your module". I took the module out and it tested bad. I replaced it with a new one and the truck fired right up. I consider myself lucky to have broken down in the parts store parking lot in the town where I live because most of the trip was backroads and one horse towns without part stores and the tow bill would have killed me. The man upstairs was really looking out for me today!!

On another note, while I had the cap and rotor off the dizzy, I realized the springs were wore out and everything was pretty rusty in there so it looks like it's time for a Skip White dizzy!! O'Reilly wanted $100.00 for an HEI.

Last edited by sjarrett71; 10-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
sjarrett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
steppside69

Re: Boy Am I lucky!!

Nice to have some good luck on your side.
Glad to hear you got back on the road!
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
69sixpackbee

That is why I kept a few in the glove box. Lucky u!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I took my 72 GMC on a 3 hour road trip today to pick up a fridge that I found that was a really good deal. I made it all the way there and back and the truck ran great (longest trip so far). I was just saying to myself how great the truck ran when I pulled into O'Reilly's to get oil and a filter for my sister's car and my truck died. It would not start no matter what I tried. A buddy that I met Saturday that has a 72 Chevy pulled in and said "it's your module". A mechanic friend was there and said "it's your module". I took the module out and it tested bad. I replaced it with a new one and the truck fired right up. I consider myself lucky to have broken down in the parts store parking lot in the town where I live because most of the trip was backroads and one horse towns without part stores and the tow bill would have killed me. The man upstairs was really looking out for me today!!

On another note, while I had the cap and rotor off the dizzy, I realized the springs were wore out and everything was pretty rusty in there so it looks like it's time for a Skip White dizzy!! O'Reilly wanted $100.00 for an HEI.
That isn't luck. You just got the same deal going with your truck as I got with all my old vehicles.

A couple years ago I was on vacation with my family. I had my 72 Chevelle. I needed to drive 200 miles back to town, take care of some business, then drive back to the rented cabin. I get all the way back to town and notice a water leak. My water pump was on the way out. The shop I used to work at, one city block away from where I made this discovery, was open. I stopped in to discover they were slow and had a bay open. By the time I had the old pump on the ground the parts runner had the new one in my hands. Other than the hour lost R&R'in the waterpump I was right on schedule and back with my family as planned.

Earlier this summer I had to take my truck to work - a 75 mile round trip - to pick up a special trim board I had a co-worker make for me for my house. I drove to work, to the friend's house, then back home - more than 75 miles with the detour to the friend's house. Then, at the last stop sign by my house, 1/2 mile up the road from my place, My brake pedal went soft. The 40 year old brake hose above the back axel let go. I gently drove that last .5 miles where repairs were made.

It isn't luck. If you take care of your vehicles, they WILL take care of you.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:

You are right in thanking......GOD....he takes care of us.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
sjarrett71

Well my luck ran out today. A few months ago I found a set of rust free '68 fenders setting behing an old Oldmobile Cutlass F-85 which was underneath a carport. I finally found the owner and made a deal to buy them. When I went to pick them up today they were gone, someone stole them! There were some other parts in the shed like a parchment seat (needs recovered), a couple mis-matched door panels, and nasty seat belts. I'll talk to him about them later, I was just too upset about the fenders to wheel and deal on anything else.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
You are right in thanking......GOD....he takes care of us.

Quote:
Well my luck ran out today. A few months ago I found a set of rust free '68 fenders setting behing an old Oldmobile Cutlass F-85 which was underneath a carport. I finally found the owner and made a deal to buy them. When I went to pick them up today they were gone, someone stole them! There were some other parts in the shed like a parchment seat (needs recovered), a couple mis-matched door panels, and nasty seat belts. I'll talk to him about them later, I was just too upset about the fenders to wheel and deal on anything else.
i hate a thief, maybe something else will come your way

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 10-12-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
i hate a thief, maybe something else will come your way
As luck would have it I got home and logged onto CL and found some NEW parts dirt cheap. Only one fender though but both fender wells. I'm hoping to pick them up Friday and will post pics and prices then.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
DaSchlange

Well I can't believe you paid 100 bucks for an HEI whenever I logged onto amazon and bought one for 40 bucks.
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchlange View Post
Well I can't believe you paid 100 bucks for an HEI whenever I logged onto amazon and bought one for 40 bucks.
I did NOT buy the distributor at O'Reilly's for $100.00. I paid 22.00 for the module to get me home. I'm getting the whole dizzy online.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Quote:
I did NOT buy the distributor at O'Reilly's for $100.00. I paid 22.00 for the module to get me home. I'm getting the whole dizzy online.
Excuse me for asking? What module did you replace and what kind of HEI dizzy would work with my 72 402bb.

Thanks
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
DaSchlange

Oh, well for 22 bucks you got off easy and I got screwed. Nice, I paid 50 bucks for mine.

Quote:
Excuse me for asking? What module did you replace and what kind of HEI dizzy would work with my 72 402bb.

Thanks
Well, I'll just tell you what I have.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/140003/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/8123/10002/-1
^^These parts don't really matter though..

The Module: http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/35361/10002/-1

For your 402, this is what I came up with..
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/52100/10002/-1

Hope this helps!
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote