The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
SRVBLUES64

gas tank questions

how do I get rid of the gas tank brackets in a 66 chevy truck, they seem to be welded and bolted to the floor do I cut them out?

Last edited by SRVBLUES64; 10-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
SRVBLUES64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
gulffishin

Re: gas tank questions

To completely remove them you would need to cut the spotwelds and remove the cab support bolts, but then you would have to find another way to keep the rear of the cab secure.

I hate cutting spotwelds, so I just cut off the part of the bracket that sticks out behind the seat with my cutoff wheel.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
derail

So, if you cut the spotwelds out and took these out, it messes with the structural integrity? Just wondering because I just cut mine out. Didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Just thought they were useless without the tank in there anymore.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
gulffishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail View Post
So, if you cut the spotwelds out and took these out, it messes with the structural integrity? Just wondering because I just cut mine out. Didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Just thought they were useless without the tank in there anymore.
I don't think it would hurt the integrity. I would have removed mine, but I just hate having to deal with spotwelds As far as I know the tank bracket's purpose is to simply hold the tank. I just noticed when I was working on my truck that the cab support bolts screw into the bracket on the floor (from underneath) and if you remove the whole bracket you will lose those threaded pieces. I think you can remove the whole bracket as long as you put a washer and locknut for the cab support bolt to screw into to substitute for the threaded pieces.

I attached a pic of the bracket so you can see the pieces...I don't have photoshop to circle them though.
Attached Images

gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
derail

Got it. Scared me for a second. I just put bolts with nuts on them and ran them the other way when I cut mine out.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote