The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
hawksnest116

Angry fuel issue

Does anyone know what to do next? 1984 GMC half ton. Two wheel drive long box. I cant switch fuel tanks. I started easy and replaced the switch. Then I replaced the fuel selector valve under the cab. I still cant switch tanks. I took the switch back off and it turns out its not getting power. Is it suppose too? Also took the dash apart to fallow the wires. It turns out that as I fallow it back to the fuse box there is a thick pink wire that runs directly into the fuse box is this right? I am starting to get frusterated any ideas or help?
hawksnest116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Dud

Re: fuel issue

I don't know alot about this but on the 82 GMC there are four wires to the switch Heavy pink to fuse box, pink-black which goes to a ground and two green wires that go the selector switch. Since you replaced the tank switch inside the dash and the selector valve under the cab the problem is likely power -- you should have power to the switch in dash otherwise how is it going to switch from left to right tank. Start with the pink wire and work backwards until you find power. Also check the ground connection I am working on a similar problem
Dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
westie 666

Have you checked the fuse?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
hawksnest116

You are right. I fallowed the pink wire back to the fuse box. The switch now has power. Now I will find out if it works when I get the dash back together. I tood it way apart instead of one piece. I wanted to clean it all out years of sitting made it dingy. The odometer is tore apart. Its got to little gears i am trying to figure out.
hawksnest116 is offline   Reply With Quote