The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
supermanox

1972 GMC Restoration

Hey guys, I have a 1972 GMC Sierra Grande that I want to do a full custom resto on. The truck is in good running condition as is, I have a lot of questions on exactly where to start and need ideas of where to go and get some stuff done (take cab and bed off frame and such) I live in Asheville NC, if anyone is willing to help me out via e-mail, please shoot me one at Cooper@triathlete.com. Thanks
supermanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:18 PM   #2
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Welcome to the board from W. Tennessee, and another GMC owner.

Visit the board frequently, and post any and all your questions here. You will gain a larger perspective and alternate ways of restoration or customization. Again, welcome to the greatest 67-72 truck board on the net, you will quickly wonder how you lived before finding this site.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
VTKidder

Quote:
Originally posted by dtlilly
....you will quickly wonder how you lived before finding this site.

Ain't that the truth!!!! And don't be afraid to ask what you think are dumb questions. Nobody was born a genius on these trucks. Everyone has learned, and outside of working on the truck, this board has taught me the most so far! Welcome from Vermont!!!

VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
supermanox

Resto shops?

Does anyone know any reliable resto garages or shops in the Western North Carolina area, I think i need to take the cab and bed off, sandblast and coat the frame and then do any body adjustments, replacing cab corners and that sort. What else should I look at having done while i have the cab and bed off?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
VTKidder

Don't know of any place in NC being in VT, but things I'd definitely do again while I had the bare frame and bare cab. Advice though...a pro body shop or resto shop prolly won't want a cab sitting there that you want a rocker replaced on. They have bigger and $$ projects. I had a friend who does bodywork (c'mon, we all know someone that does) do the tougher stuff for me. Benefits....

1. You can work on it with him
2. Usually way cheaper than a body shop.
3. Beer and welding is a good time; body shop won't let you have a cold one while watching.

Make sure the buddy is capable and not a bondo-slinger, but save the $$ and get involved in the resto. That's what restoring a truck is all about!! Having fun with it!! Paying someone to restore your truck, and being able to answer any question about the truck once you've completed with your own two hands are two VERY different things. I prefer the latter, and would say 99% of the board is in the same boat. This board is for all of us with scun up knuckles and a head full of questions. Some stuff I'd recommend doing while things are apart...

== FRAME ==

-Replace all rubber front end parts (sway bar mounts, etc).
-Run all new brake lines.
-General frame resto; Por-15 and any custom stuff (c-notch, etc.)
-Add a rear fuel cell if you're into it. May want to keep it stock, some like to relocate the cell for safety reasons.

== CAB ==

-Check the ENTIRE cab; mounts, floors, rockers, corners, vents, windshield areas, etc.
-Buy a new cab mounting kit.
-Smooth and paint the firewall if you're into that.

That's about it. Pretty much think of every time you were working in something and said to yourself "Dammit!!! This would be a heckuva lot easier if I could come in from the top!" or "I wish this cab weren't here!" Dunno how far you want to take this resto, but really look things over when it's apart. Much easier to swap a tranny crossmember if you want a different tranny when the cab is off!!!

VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from HOT and HUMID South Mississippi!

I gotta GMC too, ain't they great!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome from the still hot and humid Mississippi!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Eddie H.

My best advice is that you'll mainly need two things: Money and patience.

First, take what you think it will cost, add 30 % then double that figure and you will be close. That goes for time also, if you're planning on doing a complete frame off restoration, take the time to do it right. Figure what you think it will take, add 50% then double that.

If done correctly, the end result, is a one of a kind rolling work of art that you'll never want to part with.

Sure, anybody can go down to the dealer and take their pick of new over priced, over rated, plastic, cookie cutter, look alike, everybody has one just like it, computer controlled nothing-mobiles that lose their value faster than you can pay for them, but there's just something about driving a true classic you've restored yourself, that is priceless.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:24 PM   #9
Tim Christian

Smile

A Big Tennessee Howdy-Do!!!! If I can help you with any parts just let me know. I am only about one hour and 1/2 from you. Tim
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #10
Daves72'GMC

Thumbs up

I have a '72 Sierra Grande too, and I'll let you know how my restoration goes. I live in Horse shoe, N.C. Do you have any pics of your truck?
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #11
Daves72'GMC

Thumbs up

We should get together sometime and Tim Christian with Christians classic truck parts in Tenn. and Bill Athey with Athey's Truck parts in Virginia are both great guys and have good prices and good quality parts. I've bought alot of parts from them and my restoration will start in July. Dave
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #12
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Howdy from good ole' West Virginia, have fun with your project and enjoy the ride!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
Cheesewagon

Welcome from Northern Ohio. Sounds like you have a nice project. Just take your time and have lots of fun. You found the right place and people to ask questions to.

'72 Cheyenne Super 49,000miles 350/350 frame up resto w/ matching numbers.
Cheesewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #14
supermanox

Thanks for all the greetings everybody, I have a set of buckets out of a 72 Jimmy, but I don't have the seat rails to mount them, any ideas on where I can find them, or how to rig something together?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:01 PM   #15
Pardue'sCustoms
Account Suspended

hello from NC i'am about 1.5 hr away so if i can be of any help just let me know and welcome to the board

WE NEED PIC>
Pardue'sCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote