The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
NINERS1

driveline issues

first some background, i have a 71 cheyenne longbed, its lowered 5" in rear [springs] 3.5 front [spindles & springs] I have had to replace my carrier bearing 3 times in 4 years. i've seen a slip yoke driveshaft on cpp's site but it look like its only for one piece [shortbed] driveshafts, also they have a billet & poly carrier bearing that looks alot stronger than the over the counter ones i've been using. my question is does anyone know if they make a slip yoke for a 2 piece longbed driveshaft? or what are my options to correct this issue?? thanks for any advice!!

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Myself

Re: driveline issues

Sounds like the pinion angle is incorrect. You may need an angled spacer behind the carrier bearing, or angled shims on the rear. The first step would be to get under there with an angle finder and see what's goiung on.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
NINERS1

yea i think thats the case, i understand that with a lowered truck when the rear suspension moves up it puts forward stress on the carrier and down puts it on the rear pinion seal [is also out]. I did find a slip yoke shaft for two piece long bed at CPP. do you know what the correct angle is? thanks for the reply.

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

u-joints don't like to operate at more than 3*.
you can convert to a one piece driveshaft, might have to clearance crossmemer.
you can use the billet poly bushing if you have a slip and stub put in the rear shaft.

as many times as your driveshaft has been apart did you put it back together the same way (in time) you can have a great effect on the driveshafts ballance and cause carrier bearings to fail prematurely.

my professional opinion take it to a driveline shop have them put the normal (cheap) carrier bearing, have them reinforce it and ballance the driveshaft (must ballance both pieces of the driveshaft together). Should last you 20 years.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote