The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
TexasT

So, I'm in the market for a three door

Well, I have been looking into three door suburbans. I have wanted one for a while, I was brought home from the hospital in my dad's '68 and I just plain want one.

I found a '72 K20, 350/350, blue(same color as my dad's old one). The seller sez, "it's all original". We finally got a free day to go check it out. The seller had called me back several times, so I know, he couldn't unload it. The wife wasn't happy we were even entertaining the idea. I told her, 'heh, if it's a rust bucket, I walk away.' It looked good in the three pix in the for sale ad.

Unfortunately crawling under revealed a cancerous underside.

but, the rear axle has me puzzled. Anyone know about it? It is a full floater but has a removable center like a ford nine inch.

It does have rear air and a deluxe interior.

But I'm guessing it sat out for a stretch as the steering wheel disintegrated. But it does have gauges but no tach as it is th350.

Bottom line. The seller doesn't have a title so I am working on that through a friend of mine and the seller is asking more than I'm willing to pay but without a title i ain't buying.

Any idea what this might go for? I have a price in mind to offer but I hated to insult the guy too much.

Thanx
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Re: So, I'm in the market for a three door

Hmmmmm. Does the engine turn over? Don't kid yourself that it won't be much work - if you have a garage you can work on it then I say cool - if it's going to sit in your side yard maybe look for something that's already rolling. I would say less than 1K for a price if the rust isn't too bad (way less maybe?). In terms of rust mine is in real nice shape overall but my spare wheel well is also rusted through - so maybe that area is not a good indicator of rust overall. How's the other areas - doors, rockers, fenders, tailgate (you can find replacement parts for some stuff - but mostly only what matches the pickup trucks - for example I haven't seen any (new) replacement rear doors.

I like your thinking though. I dig the idea of bringing one back from the dead. If it does seem like too much work right now look around - over the course of a few months you'll find lots of nicer ones.

TT

Last edited by eyebuzz; 09-28-2010 at 10:04 PM.
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
zac

Externally, the body looks decent, and it has alot of decent stuff still on it. But if the body mounts and rear floor portion are really rusted, walk away. No replacement panel for that. I agree that this is a sub $1000 truck--with a title.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
TexasT

The plywood worried me but I have seen several others with it so I got thinking it might be original. The floors looked solid. The rocker on the driver side and door bottom would need surgury. Pass side didn't seem as bad but who kows with the dr side as it is. Rear hatch and tail gate looked quite solid.

both sides around the taillights were damaged and would need replacement to make it 'right'. This sheet metal looked available from LMC.

I'm not a body man but do own a wirefeed welder and could get a bottle to do mig. Engine started and ran well. There was a tick, but the tags were from 2000 so I would think it was a sticky lifter.

I was thinking $6-700. I could part it out then and get the money back. Running gear wasn't tested but it is a running 350/350, a NP205 TC and the 2500 eight lug axles. It looked like the seller drove it to where we looked at it judging by the rear tire and the way it sat.

The seller had a few "kin" over to 'help' with the sale. We were in our "99 K2500. The wife was rattled by the "helpful kin" so she got back in the truck with our youngest while my son and I checked it out. The FIL gave a bunch of 'salesman speak" but I wasn't biting. The BIL got the idea they weren't setting the hook right then so he got the fil to leave and go to the races. Overall it was a good learning experience for my son.

I have a friend working on the title to see if it has liens or is in someway goofed up. The party that is looking into it is a pretty competent individual who does that type of work for towing companies so they can unload abandoned vehicles.

I wondered about the rear axle, as I haven't seen one like it before. I have always owned newer trucks with a 14 bolt FF. That was a new one to me. The front looked like a 10 bolt but was probably a Dana 44 as it had disk brakes and looked like the one that was under the '73 Blazer I used to have.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any input? TIA

Last edited by TexasT; 09-28-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
TexasT

I really like the look of these with the two tone paint and the trim. One thing it didn't seem to have was the chrome just below the windows that these have. I think I could get this one there but I agree it will be a big job.

I haven't come across a place that sells the spare tire well. I guess I would have to fab one up.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
extremesounds13

Ya I would agree with your offer of 6-700, and keep looking one will pop up that someone needs to sell that is in better shape for not to much more dough.
extremesounds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
TexasT

Found another but not four wheel drive. Waiting on a response and more pix. This one is BBC powered(402 according to seller).
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
zac

The floor portion I worry about most is under the second seat. Open the back (3rd)door, squat down and look at the part that comes up to meet the plywood. They often are about rusted through because the rear tires have been throwing crap on them for years. But in TX it may not be as big a problem as it is here farther north.

That rear axle is a mystery. I assume you could swap in a 14FF without much trouble if you wanted. The front would be a D44. The gear ratio would probably be around 4.10, maybe 3.73 since it's a 3/4 ton I would guess.

I'm sure you could more than get your money back by parting it if you get it for $700. Another consideration would be to use it as a parts truck when you find a better one. It has all 3 seats, rear a/c and other good options. I've got 2 K10 burbs and having the extra one for parts has been great. Gives you lots of options and keeps you off ebay trying to scrounge up little items. And if you can't get a title, I'm not sure you could use it for anything but a parts truck.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

rear axle is a GM HO72. I have had several and I like em! IMO better than a dana 60 rear. I have one in the works right now that will be a hybrid axle for the front of my 66 pick-up (several years down the road)

http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffDetail...%26DiffID%3d51

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
vectorit
What?

That burb looks better than mine when I got it.
The wood floor is original
That axle is an Eaton H0-52, and parts are scarce but not impossible to find. Gear selection is slim.
Front axle would most likely be a D44 open knuck, which is a rock solid axle.
The spare tire tub comes out, so you could get one from one of the guys on the for sale forum.
You have all the seats, which is a bonus.
Dry hot climate is great, but plan on all the seals in the drive train to be gone.
From front doors forward is pick up compatible for sheet metal bright work, rearward on is burb specific. Third door, and rear hatch need to be solid otherwise you will spend a lot of time looking for replacements.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
TexasT

Well, I heard back from my contact and the title appears to be clear and was current up to about two years ago. Apparently in OK one must register one's vehicles every year or face back charges and fines. This would mean, according to my person, that there will be $3-400 in back fees and penalties. This person does work for recyclers and such so they can crush cars without titles for a living so I feel confident in the info provided. Downside, the seller of that first truck is asking $2500 OBO so an offer that low could insult them. It needs a lot. I don't need a driver but it would help convince the wife. rest of the pix at http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/q...20blue%202500/

The second, green one, I talked to the seller. He has lost his job and is liquidating his 'fleet'. He also claims how nice it is. I will try to get over to see his in a couple of weeks when I have a weekend off if it is still for sale. Down sides, no third seat, buckets in the front, 2wd. Upside, possibly nicer than the first as far as body, tailgate( i prefer the tailgate), full floating axle like the first according to the seller. He is asking about 700 less than the first seller.

I really like the body style. I have had an '83, '94 and our current '99. We have four children so it really fits us to have the third seat. Especially when some friends come along.

I will let these simmer and keep looking. Probably give the first seller a call and feel him out on taking less and if so how much less he might be willing to take. Then in a couple of weeks check out the second for comparison. Try to see if anything else pops up.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
TexasT

A GIANT thank you to those providing info. I really appreciate you taking the time to post.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
tonypaul

Not sure of your budjet but saw this and thought I would pass it along-
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1953295401.html
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
olblue60@aol.com

I think that 72 looks good for $2500. The spare tire wells often rust out. Its a bolt on deal. It seems very well equiped.!!
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

2500 for that blue one sounds like a total rip off to me. You can get way better cheaper. It just takes time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #16
extremesounds13

Ouch 2500 seems out there on that one, it does have potential but I think you could find better for 2500, but my market up here could be way different than yours.
extremesounds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

TexasT - Not sure how far you want to drive but I just saw this on on Craig's List - seems to be in Oklahoma (I don't have anything to do with it...just saw the post). Price seems to be pretty sweet.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/2011407296.html

Best,
Tim
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
kev2809
low n' slo

i would not pay 2500 for that blue one...the best part about it, is it has factory a/c. the motor could be in any condition. the worst part is that floor is just the beginnning..

i bought mine from dallas for $600, non running. but clear texas title. it was in a little better condition than that one. i have a little more into it now than the asking price their asking, but the body is just about complete (as in no more rust), i have a good motor going in, and its fully bagged.

just be a little patient, and you will find something worth the money. believe me

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 10-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote