The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Compressor problem

i hope i put this in the right forum...

the compressor i have been using is starting to act funny. its a 60 gallon, 1 phase sanborn compressor. i run all my air tools off of it, and also spray my primer with it. always have worked very well up until a few months ago. i notice when i turn it on, it sounded very week. so i changed the oil in it, and it still starts a little week, and when it gets past 50 psi, it starts to sound like it really strains. this happens every so often. BUT, when it gets up to about 90 psi, it always just basically stops turning, and thats when i turn off the compressor. im starting to get a little worried and really dont want to use it. i need to get this fixed soon as i will be primering my truck within the month. i really hope its something simple. it really seems like the tank needs to be drained, like there is no room for the compressor air to go once it gets past 50psi. but that really doesnt explain why it would sound so week...

any suggestions?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: Compressor problem

anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Sorry, but I'm no help. The only issues I have ever had to deal with were electrical. Starters, switches, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

i wish mine was that easy! well, thanks for dropping in anyways

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
'63GENIII

If it has a capacitor, I'd start there. Those things cause all sorts of problems when they are on their way out. Take the old one out (after turing off the power of course), take it to Grainger or something like it. It will cost about $4 to $5. I change these things out before I replace a $200 motor and many times that is the problem. If that doesn't work, PM me. Chris

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
BUT, when it gets up to about 90 psi, it always just basically stops turning, and thats when i turn off the compressor.

it really seems like the tank needs to be drained, like there is no room for the compressor air
First drain the tank. Remove the petcock and replace with piping and ball valve. Get the valve were you can get to it easily and you will drain the water more often. Water should not be the root problem though, unless the tank was dead full up to the compressor outlet line. If that were true, you would be shooting water from you air line.

Second, what stops turning? The compressor? Or the motor? If the motor stops, I would question the motor. If the comp stops (slipping the belt), I would check the belt tension. After that, I guess I would pull the head off and check the reed valves. Valve kit are available for most compressors.

Hope this helps.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
crushermechanic

check your breaker. i had one do the same thing and the breaker had gotten hot and it was loosing amperage as the compressor worked harder. changed the breaker out and no more problems.
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
kev2809
low n' slo

i did have that breaker pop before with it running.

i drained all the air out today, then turned it on. it went very smooth up to 50, then sounded like it shifted gears (it kind of slowed down, noticeably), then back to normal speed up to about 90, changed speeds again, then went all the way up to 120 before the pressure switch cut it off. i never really paid attention, but is it supposed to do that (sound like its changing gears)?

i think i should wd 40 the pulleys, and maybe change the belt. its all original.

also, the drain cock is super super tight, sort of rusted on. the wing nut broke, then the fitting inside got stripped lol. so its gonna be super tough to drain this thing.

if it keeps working the way it did today, then i will be fine. at least i can get my truck primered then worry about it.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 10-20-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
also, the drain cock is super super tight, sort of rusted on. the wing nut broke, then the fitting inside got stripped lol. so its gonna be super tough to drain this thing.
Like I said, get rid of the petcock. They are cheap junk and you have to lay on the floor to use it. Usually it is 1/8" pipe thread. Plumb it up and never look back.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote