The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
1stimer

Replace headers with stock manifolds and a carb question

Hi guys. Mechanic says I have some exhaust leaks, and says headers need to be redone...(I guess gaskets and bolts).

I want to learn to tackle some of the issues that I need to in order to get this old girl running correctly.

Is this something a novice DIY'er could do?

The truck is more of a "hot rod" than I would like, and was thinking going back to a stock manifold might cause me less headaches and get the truck back to stock like I would eventually like it to be. Any thoughts?

Also....I don't know if it is a 454 or a 402.

I did notice one header bolt is completely missing. Would this be enough to cause an easily detectable leak?

Mechanic says carb is the wrong size for the engine. It is an Edelbrock Performer 800 CFM. Is this carb too much? Is it worth anything used (less than 1 year old)? Would you go back to a stock carb or stick with a 'lower' specd aftermarket one?

Thanks for your support guys....I'm trying to learn.

Randy
1stimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
realsteelGM

Re: Replace headers with stock manifolds and a carb question

Headers are mostly a show and have exhaustly leaks frequently, there should be some casting numbers on the rear of the block, looks these up on line and it should tell you what your running. As for the eddy carb make a trade for the stock carb or sell it or maybe it would run better if it had the metering rods changed in it, above all else don't take just one persons advice, test the waters.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
1stimer

Re: Replace headers with stock manifolds and a carb question

Thanks for the reply. Will look into a stock exhaust manifold. Don't want to be constantly fussing with headers, and don't need a hot-rod. Want a stock truck.
1stimer is offline   Reply With Quote