The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
56hotrodred

trouble welding in patch panel

Well I was feeling brave and decided to try and weld in a patch panel over the old fuel fill opening hole in the cab. I cut a piece with a similar curve from one of the old cab corners. I am not totally new to welding but these body panels are tricky.

To make a long story short I almost had it completely welded in an looking pretty good when I started burning holes. I kept at it and now almost have all the holes filled and then had to stop for a breather and Sunday dinner.

I am not sure what happened maybe I ground down some areas too thin but am now a little scared to get back at it. The remaining holes are pretty small but there are a few of them.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as there is no turning back now.

56hotrodred (Barry)
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
T Hilde

Re: trouble welding in patch panel

Too hot of setting, too much heat in one spot are most likely the 2 biggies. At least they are for me.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

It may have been thin there. cut a piece of copper to fit inside as a backer. Don't hold it with your hand. clamp it in place and finish welding
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
kaycee

Don't try and weld all at once tack a few places and then let cool then keep adding to your tacks.Belive me when I did my first patch you would of thought I was welding 1/2" steel plate.I just keep moving around and small pieces like that take awhile to button up.Just be patient grasshopper
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
56hotrodred

Thanks for you advice all. I am playing with the wire speed a bit more after turning the heat down and I have filled the 2 big holes I made. I have several small holes that one can see when shining a light from the back but I think I may have it.

As previously said one has to go slow to keep the heat down. All in all I should have started on something easier, maybe flat and not quit so visible - like the holes in the firewall. I am just about to pull the cab off the frame as all my fab work and body alignment work is done. I am having a buddy of mine come by to weld the front and rear cab body and rad support mounts onto the 1980 frame.

Also I regret not spending the extra money and buying the Millar welder. Oh well I am pretty sure that I will get it. I have a lot of patch panels to weld on between my 56 and my sons 73 lifted 4x4 we are building. Maybe I will practice more on his 73 - haha.

Once I get it I will post a photo of my handy work.

56hotrodred
Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrodred View Post
..Also I regret not spending the extra money and buying the Miller welder...
What welder did you get?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
56hotrodred

I went to a store up here called Princes Auto and bought a Deca. In the US I think it goes by the name Hobart but am not sure. It is made in Italy. For anything thicker I do not have much trouble but the thin stuff is a different story. I know some guys with more experience can do really excellent work with it but the 120 volt Millar has real easy to use controls that you simply measure your metal gauge and set the welder.

Up here I paid about $500.00 and for another $300.00 I could have got top of the line.

I do think it will work but will take more practice.

56hotrodred
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
kaycee

Welding is an art for each person,I know some guys like to keep the .035 wire in and go.I noticed a big differance when I switched to the .023 wire and could weld the thinner metal ,better for me.Practice, practice
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote