The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
robreil

Direction needed in chosing a restoration.

Newbie here.

A little background. When I was in the Navy as a young lad, I had a 69 CST/10 SWB Black w/ Black buckets/console, wood trim, step bumper, 350 4 bolt, TH400, 3:73 Posi.

I loved that truck but that was in 80~82 and there was so much florida rust that the doors were falling off literally.

I want another one, however with a few changes as I can see it being a LWB, and geared to run on the Atlanta highways which run 70-80 all day long. As to its use I would occassionally pull a loaded 8' utility trailer, and put a full size motorcycle in the back of the truck and wonder if I should go with a 3/4 ton or put suspension assists in the rear as needed.

Must haves:
Chevy (not GMC), A/C, P/S, P/B, V8, Power to run high speed Atlanta highways, dependability as this will become a restored daily driver. High end trim package.

Would like to haves:
Front disc brakes, 4x4, 69 grill, bucket/console, tilt, decent gas mileage, 4 speed, black interior, tach.

I am seeing a retro fit brake on a 69/70, or a regrille on a 71/72.

Also I wonder if the 402 would be a better motor for me vs. the 350. I dont want a hot rod but would like its gallop to be happy at 70+mph and sound strong at idle and under power. I remember my mom driving it in 77 doing 75 and feeling the TH400/3:73 equipped 350 running hard to maintain that pace.

Is there a highway geared 4 speed manual transmission available? What is it called?
Why would I want a TH350 vs TH400 if I go for an automatic?
What rear end ratio should I look for?
Is there any monetary value in keeping one of these original as to match the SPID? If so how much?

Based on all of this what would you all suggest? And how much should I budget to get something driveable and complete to work with.

Thanks in advance,

Robert in Atlanta.

Last edited by robreil; 10-26-2010 at 05:34 PM.
robreil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
BIGBLU 72

Re: Direction needed in chosing a restoration.

Im doing some of the same stuff with my 68. fist off i would got Half ton with load leveling air bags. as for the motor im going to go with a very mild 402,700r4 and 3.73 posi. as for a stick i would look into a NV4500 even though its a 5 speed. for the brakes and stuff it would be easiest to start with a 71/72 and regrill it.
this is pretty much the way im goin with my 68 so i hope it gives you some ideas to think about
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLU 72 View Post
As for the motor im going to go with a very mild 402, 700r4, and 3.73 posi.
As for a stick i would look into a NV4500 even though its a 5 speed.
For the brakes and stuff it would be easiest to start with a 71/72 and regrill it.
Thanks BigBlu,

Gosh I would LOVE a 5 speed. What does the NV4500 come out of? I see that there are Dodge and Chevy versions. How about bell housings? Any hints on how to find them and how much to budget? I would guess it would be best to find a 4 speed as that would be the only one stock that had the hole in the floor and the non levered steering column. I wonder are there other steering vehicles that have the same column that I could look for w/o the lever? or are the retro fit parts for the column still available?

As for the 402. I guess because its a big block and they like to stretch their legs that would be the way to go. I saw a on wikipedia a list of engines available for the 67-72's The only big blocks on the list are the 396 (68-70), and 402 (71-72). So I guess thats a 71-72 402 in order to get the front discs. or a 69 CST / 70 Chyenne for the 396.

I did some research on the 396/402 and an NV4500 combo and could not find much. I started another thread over in drivetrain here. Any ideas on the best way to get that please let me know.

Last edited by robreil; 10-26-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added notes on 396/402 NV4500 combo.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
rsavage

One of the members here, Raycow, knows a lot about what you will need to retrofit a NV4500 OD stick into one of our trucks including necessary adapters. Maybe he will see the post and chime in. Use the search function too, because there was a discussion on this swap not too long ago. A half ton will probably have lower numerical gearing than a 20 or 30 series. A 71 or 72 will save you some money on disk brakes as opposed to retro fitting earlier years. I'm partial to stock looking trucks and I like your idea of a big block. PS, PB and AC would help it be a great cruiser. Keep us posted.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Use the search function too, because there was a discussion on this swap not too long ago.
Did it. Seems only small blocks have aftermarket support that I can tell so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I'm partial to stock looking trucks and I like your idea of a big block. PS, PB and AC would help it be a great cruiser.
Me too. I cant wait to see a gorgeous full packaged OEM in my driveway like new. Just too awesome. But it needs to be functional too and do the job I need it to do. Run like the wind, and haul an occassional load.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
GMCBubba

know that if you do decide to go with a 3/4 ton, the chassis parts (tie rods, ball joints) and brake system parts (ie. disc brake conversion -- especially for the rear) are more expensive and relatively harder to find. also, if you are wanting to lower the stance or use fun aftermarket wheels, your choices will be much more limited on the 8 lug.

as for motors, if you start with a small block truck, you will have a more expensive transition to BBC trying to get engine stands, pulleys, and other accessories. i think a 383 with the nv4500 sounds like a great combination. at least that's what i'm in the process of doing!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
robreil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCBubba View Post
know that if you do decide to go with a 3/4 ton, the chassis parts (tie rods, ball joints) and brake system parts (ie. disc brake conversion -- especially for the rear) are more expensive and relatively harder to find. also, if you are wanting to lower the stance or use fun aftermarket wheels, your choices will be much more limited on the 8 lug.

as for motors, if you start with a small block truck, you will have a more expensive transition to BBC trying to get engine stands, pulleys, and other accessories. i think a 383 with the nv4500 sounds like a great combination. at least that's what i'm in the process of doing!
383? is that the destroked 400? But its a small block right? I will be keeping it a stocker w/ steel wheels. Just nice paint and detailed interior/exterior. Nothing custom. The fact that it is original is custom enough.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
GMCBubba

383 is stroked 350. so 350 bored 0.030 with a 400 crank and some other extra tweaks. many kits available. involves some machine work. i don't know all the details, but many folks say it's the perfect truck motor (for a small block)