The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
floridasteve

Re: Steering/header issue again, need help

On the kids mac and thought that I had them resized. Sorry, I will repost when the show me how. Sorry!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
samdjr74

I just ordered another set of headers, hopefully my last

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I think these will fix the problem. Right now I have 2 main issues:

1. The current headers stick out from the block a little too far causing it to get in the way of the steering
2. The collector flange needs to be either higher or lower as it's forcing the u joint to be pushed beyond the 38 degree limit

If I'm right this should correct these 2 problems
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
bobinbc

I got mine from this guy on ebay, mine were brand new and fit good. For the price for coated headers they are the best I've found. Also shipping was very fast. My truck is using a GTO/Chevelle type clip and underfloor power brakes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynom...item45f655eb4f

Also I tried hedman 68600 (uncoated) and they fit about the same, hedman headers are little nicer than dynomax but more $$$. The clearance was a little tighter when I pushed the brake pedal down, but my engine is very close to the firewall. 68606 looks like the same part except coated, I would double check with Hedman to be sure.

You may have to move your engine aound a bit to get the best fit, I didn't tack my engine mounts down until I had the headers and steering mocked in the way I wanted. Hope this helps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #29
samdjr74

Hey Bob,

We live and we learn, if I could do it over again I would've kept the stock suspension and just updated it along with the brakes and steering then drop in my 350. At this point it's my fault, poor planning but I know I'll make it all work. Like I was telling you in my email I got a couple ideas and if I can make my headmens work I'm going that route. I just need to kick them out a little or change the angle of the flange.

Thanks,
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
I got mine from this guy on ebay, mine were brand new and fit good. For the price for coated headers they are the best I've found. Also shipping was very fast. My truck is using a GTO/Chevelle type clip and underfloor power brakes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynom...item45f655eb4f

Also I tried hedman 68600 (uncoated) and they fit about the same, hedman headers are little nicer than dynomax but more $$$. The clearance was a little tighter when I pushed the brake pedal down, but my engine is very close to the firewall. 68606 looks like the same part except coated, I would double check with Hedman to be sure.

You may have to move your engine aound a bit to get the best fit, I didn't tack my engine mounts down until I had the headers and steering mocked in the way I wanted. Hope this helps.
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote