The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
sameyrasmea72

Re: do i title my cab a 1968 0r a 1971

However you end up doing it ( I suggest doing it the legal way) I would make sure that your title matches your frame. If in the rare case you loose the vin plate or some one steals it, the only way you you can get a replacement vin plate is if they can match your title to the frame. If you vin plate is loose or already taken off, there is not a person in the world that can tell you which cab it came off of for a 100% fact, but anybody can tell you what frame it came with.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Little Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Although different states approach this situation in different ways....it in NOT LEGAL to "swap the VIN plates yourself" in any of them. It is against the law everywhere.......please quit giving this advice.
You can/will end-up getting someone's truck impounded or permanently confiscated.
Just because there is no "black helicopter" watching you in your garage, does not mean that somewhere along the line you won't run across the law. It may be as simple as having to document the truck after being stolen/recovered. It could also have this issue after an accident or insurance claim from storm damage or vandalism.

There are legal ways to go about this. It may seem like a few hoops to jump through.....but nothing like what it takes to get one back after the law snags it.
Wow, I didn't mean to pee in anyone's Cornflakes, that was purely my opinion. you boy's do whatever you want out there. Gotta go now and find these damn black helicopters.

69 C10 Stepside ~ Project
79 K10 Shortbed 4X4 ~ Sold
72 Chevelle SS Clone ~ Sold
Little Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Some replies are better left as thoughts.I only see a person trying to make a simple level headed point on what all this comes down to as a legal matter,no matter what state you live in.It is a "federal" issue to move a VIN plate...plain and simple.This same person stated,in so many words,that doing it legal is a PIA and that is why most go the "shaky" route.I never saw his opinion given,only facts.His suggestion to not offer illegal advise is a matter of protecting this website and is his duty as a member of the staff.They don't want to be seen as advocating illegal activity.It's a matter of liability....nothing personal.And no,no one pee'd in my Special-K.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-01-2010 at 08:25 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #29
djimenzj

FYI,Went to get a VIN verification/inspection one day and... I almost got arrested becasue of this, bougt a salvaged p71 that was t bonned and had to buy a new door, took off the vin sticker off the old door and off the new door (big NO NO) inocent me told the CHP that i tossed them in the garbage. And worst yet that I did it myself!!!

Well I pissed him off, he jumped all over me and almost arrested me ! Don't do this guys ! This CHP officer was having a good day when I walked in, things could have gotten worst. And yes I did toss them in the trash !
djimenzj is offline   Reply With Quote