The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
TheDude

Help identify truck

Here's my truck, I am just starting with it, sorry for the newbie questions. I am told the truck is a 1947 3/4 ton, from what you guys know, is that right? The wheels are 8 lug. It seems parts for the 3/4 ton are hard to find, and I can't find a disc brake conversion kit.

Is a 3/4 ton with 5 windows pretty rare? Anyone have any idea how many were made?

Also, there are red lights on the top of the fenders, are these still available? What were they there for, indicators maybe?

Thanks!
Attached Images

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Help identify truck

It is a 47 3/4 ton, The lights were an add on accessory and not a factory option. You should be able to get some tha look close or convert your parking lights to signal/parking lights. As for Disc on a 3/4 ton. some one makes a kit i'm sure. It make take some internet time to find one.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
55dude

hey man it's about time you showed up here! the lights on the fenders were usually on the larger trucks and they were turn signals. gonna build a hauler with a 3/4 ton?
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
TheDude

Just going to use it as a work truck, daily driver of sorts. I am trying to figure out the modifications I can do without, and which ones are worth doing. I'd like to put a new clip in the front, and a new rear end, but eh, I probably can't afford it. I am hoping the truck isn't too bad a driver when its stock...
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
reddzx

That would make a nice combo cruiser/hauler

55dude I'm from the Eastside of Tacoma

Last edited by reddzx; 10-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
reddzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
mr48chev

That's a pretty decent looking truck. If it is a true 47 cab it will have an extra panel going around behind the seat to reinforce the cab because 47 and 48 cabs had one center mount at the back that attached in the middle of the crossmember under the back of the cab. That would be why a gas tank back behind the seat would keep the seat from going all the way back.

The stock tank did mount under the bed on the passenger side.

The turn signals on the fenders were add on units as someone said earlier. That was a pretty common thing to do back in the early 50's but they get right in the way when you try to work on the engine. Easy for people to see from their mini vans and compact cars though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote