The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: Almost ran a red light... need ABS brakes.

another non abs fan. I have the f40 brakes on my 67 when properly adjusted stops the truck as good as I cold ever expet a modern truck to stop. Even pulling my boat. I love the ability to lock up my tires. Whens the last time you even aknowledged someone that honked at you? Plus sometimes I'd rather be moving the direction I'm sliding rather than the direction I'm pointing.

sorry for not helping just have strong opinions about drivers aids
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I have had ABS on all my other vehicles and never had problems with them. I like them because they prevent wheel lockup. I know how to operate both brake systems and have been driving for over 50 years, but sometimes one has to stomp on the brakes and I prefer ABS on those occasions.

This old GMC's brakes are in good working condition. The tires have less than 2K miles on them and I have drums with no power. The brakes did their job. The truck stopped and all wheels locked up. It just scared those at the intersection hearing the squeeling sound. Power or disk brakes could not have done better in this case.

On a side note, I did find out I wasn't the only one caught off guard. They're planning on placing signals on the corners rather than hanging so they can be seen easily.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #28
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Almost ran a red light... need ABS brakes.

Check these people out. You just might have to buy them.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincat...ameset019.html

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I hate the ABS on my Z71. I hang back the best I can and pay attention and I don't think it's "come on" in at least 3 or so years?

I swear that it's lengthened my stopping distance several times where I would have stopped just fine without it coming on.

The worst thing that happened was I went over a speed bump too fast (dark out and I didn't see it) and there was a stop sign right after it (stupid design... but that's another story). For some reason going over the speed bump too hot caused the ABS to kick on and I went halfway through the damn stop sign.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #30
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I hate the ABS on my Z71. I hang back the best I can and pay attention and I don't think it's "come on" in at least 3 or so years?

I swear that it's lengthened my stopping distance several times where I would have stopped just fine without it coming on.

The worst thing that happened was I went over a speed bump too fast (dark out and I didn't see it) and there was a stop sign right after it (stupid design... but that's another story). For some reason going over the speed bump too hot caused the ABS to kick on and I went halfway through the damn stop sign.
Same thing happened to my car several times in winter and summer it acts up or is too sensitive and just wont let me stop worth a crap i hate it!!!
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #31
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
This old GMC's brakes are in good working condition. The tires have less than 2K miles on them and I have drums with no power.
Umm... on the one hand I can see the point in desiring to add a technological advancement to any of our old trucks, such as ABS. On the other hand, it makes zero sense to me to bypass power disk brakes when Chevy figured out there would be a technological benefit by adding them to our trucks 39 years ago.

I speak from first hand experience with Old Yeller, there's no question that with power disk brakes I can stop faster and with more control than when the truck had unpowered drums on the front. IMO, you want brakes that react quickly and with control. That's what you get with power disk brakes. Unpowered drums react slowly and without the control of disk brakes.

Powered drum brakes might be just as good as powered disk. I don't know because I've never driven such a set up. What I can say is the reason you're having to lock up your unpowered drums trying to stop (been there done that) is because they don't react quickly enough to changing traffic conditions. ABS brakes aren't going to make that aspect of driving any better. A faster reacting brake system will, in many cases, avoid the necessity of having to lock the brakes up while trying to stop.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Almost ran a red light... need ABS brakes.

True ABS brakes are fine in my opinion. They stop the vehicle from getting out of control for those in a panic stop that don't have a clue as to what they should be doing. Like most mordern stuff on newer cars it's better for the masses not everyone but our goverment excpects it to be on all cars & trucks.
The kit I posted about earlier looks like a pretty good retro kit for our trucks, do I think I would put it on mine no...but for some high tech build it maybe the right choice.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #33
Cumminpwr11
Southern Nevada Coal Roller

I would love to add this to my 72 suburban. Last year I had a tree fall in front of my megacab, and abs allowed me to steer around while braking hard in snow and ice! my burb would have been totaled. If I was a flat lander that never saw snow I wouldnt care. but it saved me, my wife and newborn this time so I am sold.

72 Suburban, 1 ton dodge chassis 4wd cummins, DTT 47rh 89%, PDR VE 3200 spring, PODS, Piers Turbo.

36 Chevy P/U rat rod project. 4bta cummins
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #34
JCD

I have to say I'm not a fan of ABS brakes.. but I've had several near calls with this truck, that I've never had with any of my cars..

The stopping power is without question, but even with new tires, properly functioning brakes, and alert driving, I've still managed to scare the block with screeching locked up tires.

I guess I've yet to become accustomed to the heavier weight of the truck.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #35
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
ABS is not really much if any advantage compared to a brake system in good condtion and a driver that knows how to work the brakes properly
x2
it only does what a good drive would. feather the brakes.
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #36
stich626
Account Suspended

abs.. anyone that drives in the winter with snow on the roads knows this.. fight'n the brakes to stop is a pain.. as you lock up one tire in snow the abs . fights you and you have to almost bend te pedal pushing on it..
same thing for that traction control, that you can't shut off.
it makes crossing a street in the snow a deathwish

Last edited by stich626; 11-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
x2
it only does what a good drive would. feather the brakes.
I agree except for these instances that have happened to me. I've been driving since 1957 so I've encountered all sorts of braking problems.

Car ran a redlight as I was crossing.
Deer jumps in front of vehicle.
Cattle on the road at night.
Horse startled and jumps in front of my truck.

These are just a few examples. Not time for feathering in these instances I don't care how good a driver you are.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #38
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I agree except for these instances that have happened to me. I've been driving since 1957 so I've encountered all sorts of braking problems.

Car ran a redlight as I was crossing.
Deer jumps in front of vehicle.
Cattle on the road at night.
Horse startled and jumps in front of my truck.

These are just a few examples. Not time for feathering in these instances I don't care how good a driver you are.
sorry not by'n that as thats ALL the abs does..
feather the brakes
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
sorry not by'n that as thats ALL the abs does..
feather the brakes
So, you are saying I'm not telling the truth that sometimes there are instances when you don't have time to "feather" the brakes?

Man, if you have the ability to "feather" when something runs in front of you, you are an exceptional human. Most of us have "stomped" on the brakes at least once. If you haven't you haven't been driving very much.

As for abs, they do not feather, they pulse on and off to prevent locking up. Read up on on it. All modern vehicles are using them. Theres a reason for it.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

The ONLY purpose of ABS is to enable you to steer when braking hard, in most situations it will actually lengthen your stopping distance if engaged. On a car forum I'm a member of over here a lot of young drivers seem to ake the opinion that if they need to stop hard then just stomp on the brakes and let technology sort it out, if you can brake under control yourself then you will stop quicker than just stomping on the brake in a straight line and having the ABS cut in. Whilst I don't have any particular beef with ABS and other drivers aids it is killing young drivers over here as they get out of a modern front wheel drive hot hhatchback into say an older RWD BMW with no drivers aids liek ABS and simply don't know how to drive them and end up putting it backwards through a brick wall or another car. As someone that grew up driving 60's and 70's car ABS seems a luxury to me. Its much the same with the sat-nav generation who have absolutely no idea how to read a road map.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #41
68gmsee

While I agree with all of the pros and cons of ABS, the purpose of this post was not to start a pro vs con discussion. It was to see if one could install them on our trucks.

The discussion pertained to a "panic" stop where you have no time to gently step on the brakes. Our drum brakes tend to lock up.

While I agree that most of the time one is able to pump or ease the brakes there are instances when one has to step on them hard. Those are the instances when ABS are superior, but this is my opinion only.

Thanks for replies and opinions.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 11-04-2010 at 12:55 PM.