The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
polevault1977
Pick'n up the pieces!

Metric power steering pump question

Hi All, I just put on a serpentine belt system, 92 factory, on the 67 i'm building. I'm going to run the old steering box, double flare fitting, and an O-ring pump fitting. What is the best way to come up with the pressure hose? Do they have an adaptor, or just cut of a newer hose and put the nut and a double flare on it, or any other routes to go? Your thoughts appreciated. I'm sure several of you are running metric pumps with old boxes!. Thanks, Danny
polevault1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

There are probably adapters out there,a nd I'm sure some one on here can direct you...but here is another solution, an 87 gear box will bolt right on, and not only will you gain the fittings you need, but you'll have the variable ratio steering.
Probably get one in a good-guy type junk yard for 30 bucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
polevault1977
Pick'n up the pieces!

Hey longhornmail, thanks for the quick reply. Will the 87 box work with my pitman arm? You might have the best solution. I only put seals in my old box and i don't know if its good anyway. Danny
Old 06-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

That I do not know...but some one else will. Crazy longhorn knows this swap pretty well.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
tom hand
CCRider

Not sure on a 92 but I have run newer o-ring pumps with older boxes. On the pump you could unscrew the fitting from the back of the pump that used the o-ring and screw in the fitting from the older pump that uses the flare fitting...then you can use the old hose...hope this helps
Old 06-15-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

you could take both hoses (STD. & METRIC) to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses & have them make you a pressure hose like you need & if they dont have the correct fittings the carefully cut the bands off from around the fittings of the stock ones & then use those w/new compression sleeves on them.
I have also made mine own adapters by soldering or brazing the correct STD fitting to the correct Metric fitting.........joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
kevins67gmc

have you tried napa autoparts they make hoses its worth a try
Old 06-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Blue68

Had my '97 pump mated to the '69 box by taking it to a parts shop that makes lines. Took both lines and he put in a fitting that allowed me to twist the line to get things lined up before tightening it down. Fit real well with some persuading the metric metal line a bit.

I do have something of a question though. Not to steal the thread, but does this mating of newer pump to older box work out for folks? Are the pressures close enough? Mine does some weird stuff. Not that it was real sane with the old pump though. How do I know if the box is shot? I've at times been able to get the steering wheel going one direction quickly, and it will keep going until it hits the stops. Somewhere there has to be information about how the insides of a power steering gear box works.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 AM   #9
68LSS1

Speed & Performance has the metric adapters if you want to go that route. They are around 8 bucks or so.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:44 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

Blue68, I read someplace that there are springs that control the flow rate, and in turn the amount of power assist. You can put in one spring for one finger driving, (like you's sounds) or another spring for less assist and better road feel.
I have been digging though my back isses of magizines, but have not found it yet. I suspect I will be having the same issue with the caddy pump on my longhorn.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
polevault1977
Pick'n up the pieces!

I didn't even think that the output fitting from a older pump would interchange with a metric pump, but apprently they will. I think i'll just change them out and go with a flare-type hose. Credit goes to Tom Hand, Thanks. Now I'm curious about the pressure differentials between the old pump and the new and the required pressures for the old box vs o-ring box. Hope they're close! Danny