The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
gopokes

I need some fuel line help!

So I'm getting closer to ready to start plumbing up the fuel lines. The only problem is I don't really know what to use. I have never done fuel lines on a fuel injected rig before. I have three lines coming off the engine, I know one is supply, one is return, so the other one is a vent line? I am using a gas tank from a 99 Camaro and it has a feed and a return, but it also has another line that runs back to what I assume is a "charcoal tank" on the back. I am assuming this line should connect with the third line from the engine? So if all of this is correct, I just need to figure out what line to use. Also, can I splice into the factory hard line and keep coming to the rear with hard line? Here are a couple pics if that would help.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: I need some fuel line help!

Yes, you are correct on all counts I believe.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
gopokes

That is good news! Does anyone have any suggestions on lines and fittings? I'm hoping to keep the costs down as much as possible, but I know this isn't an area to cut corners. I did a little research and found that some people use high pressure fuel hose and clamps over flared lines, is that a bad idea?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Shon

If you are not planning on a charcoal canister then you dont need that line.
which my set up did not have that 3rd line attached to the port with 'red' around it.
I am using EFI hose with EFI clamps, nothing special but it is expensive but not as high as braided.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

The line with the red ringed connector is for power brakes. It goes to the booster check valve. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
If you are not planning on a charcoal canister then you dont need that line.
which my set up did not have that 3rd line attached to the port with 'red' around it.
I am using EFI hose with EFI clamps, nothing special but it is expensive but not as high as braided.
So if I use EFI hose can I get away with just flairing the ends of the stock hardline and attaching the hose to them? I'm glad to hear you say you are running hose, it seems like everything I read is about how you "have" to use AN fittings and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
The line with the red ringed connector is for power brakes. It goes to the booster check valve. Jay
You are right, the other line I was talking about is the one on the left, starts as a platic hose and connects to the hardline.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Shon

That red ring pushed in and out, I have mine IN and assume that is sealed shut that way and there is a port in the middle of the intake that i use for the power brakes.
It works so who knows.....

as for flaring the stock lines, i put a small flare on it just for it to grab something and then double clamped each connection. dont want too big of a flare or else its too big for the hose to go over withouu messing it up (I did that a few times).
I would like to do the black braided hoses but I dont have deep enough pockets so I will use the EFI hose and clamps.

The 2 lines on the same side (on top of each other) is the feed and return. Feed from the pump will go to the larger one and that should also be the one that goes to the line with the regulator on it, the smaller one is return back to the tank.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Shon

That plastic line that has the grey ring on it and runs down with the feed/return line is the EVAP line. This is not needed and I removed. the 'noid can stay in the intake (mines at the front) and tuner can turn off all emissions.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
gopokes

Quote:
That red ring pushed in and out, I have mine IN and assume that is sealed shut that way and there is a port in the middle of the intake that i use for the power brakes.
It works so who knows.....

as for flaring the stock lines, i put a small flare on it just for it to grab something and then double clamped each connection. dont want too big of a flare or else its too big for the hose to go over withouu messing it up (I did that a few times).
I would like to do the black braided hoses but I dont have deep enough pockets so I will use the EFI hose and clamps.

The 2 lines on the same side (on top of each other) is the feed and return. Feed from the pump will go to the larger one and that should also be the one that goes to the line with the regulator on it, the smaller one is return back to the tank.
Sweet, I would like to do braided line too, but I've got to save everywhere I can.

Quote:
That plastic line that has the grey ring on it and runs down with the feed/return line is the EVAP line. This is not needed and I removed. the 'noid can stay in the intake (mines at the front) and tuner can turn off all emissions.
Nice, I thought this would have to go back to the tank. I just sent my computer and wiring harness in and he was going to take everything out except the front O2's and the MAF sensor, so I guess he will be taking that out. Do you know what I need to do with the other line coming off the tank? I thought that would be where I connected that line.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Shon

Cap off or put a vent on it. the tank will need to be vented, either thru the cap or that line.
I am on a pc that i cant see the pic but if i recall there is 3 lines, feed/return/and that vent.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
gopokes

Quote:
Cap off or put a vent on it. the tank will need to be vented, either thru the cap or that line.
I am on a pc that i cant see the pic but if i recall there is 3 lines, feed/return/and that vent.
It is kind of weird because there is another line coming out that wraps down the back of the tank and looks like it might be a vent. I'm sure I can probably just cap this one and be good. I have tried to find some kind of diagram of the tank but had no luck so far. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Shon

use one of them and cap the other